WHEN the organ at St Mary’s Church, Witney, started smoking in the middle of a hymn, the congregation was stunned into silence.
It was lucky the church was already half way towards raising the £20,000 it needed to buy a new one. The faithful were in full voice when smoke began to curl from under the keys of the organ during Sunday evening’s service.
An acrid smell filled the air as the electronic components breathed their last. Members of the choir and congregation were ushered into the nave while the organ console was checked for flames.
The choir then completed the service, accompanied by organist Terry McNamara, after he switched to the electronic keyboard.
Director of music Francis Rumsey said: “We were already well into a fundraising project for the organ at St Mary’s. Sunday’s drama focused our attention on doing something more quickly than we expected. We are aiming to replace the ageing electronics with the best modern technology, so that good church music can continue to happen here.”
- Anyone wishing to making a contribution can contact the parish office on 01993 779492 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
6:52am Friday 9th October 2015
A 23-YEAR-OLD man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after a 19-year-old woman was killed in a crash on the A40 this morning.
7:00am Friday 9th October 2015
A MOTHER who received horrific burns in a caravan fire has spoken of her two-year fight to recover from her injuries.
9:00am Friday 9th October 2015
WHILE no hall of residence room is complete without a mug tree, students in Oxford are quite hung up on how to fill their wardrobes.
8:00am Friday 9th October 2015
MUSICIANS had their hopes for a new concert hall in Oxford dashed after a study said it would not be successful.
6:30am Friday 9th October 2015
FRIENDS of a mum who was in a coma for five months after suffering horrific burns have praised her strength for pulling through.
6:00am Friday 9th October 2015
A FILM aiming to break down the stigma surrounding homeless people in Oxfordshire will premiere tonight at an Oxford cinema.