A “TORNADO” swept through parts of Oxford on Saturday, damaging trees.
Residents in the Blackbird Leys area reported damage after the 6.15pm whirlwind.
An intense hailstorm lasted for about half an hour and the whirlwind was spotted in roads like Cuddesdon Way.
In Ladenham Road, part of a tree fell across three gardens, missing homes.
Architect Jonathan McIlwaine saw the storm at Tesco at Oxford Retail Park with son Dylan, three.
He said: “There were lots of black swirling clouds and then crack of thunder and what seemed like a tornado.”
“People were piled up against the entrance to see it.
“Dylan was a bit scared because the rain started to blow into the shop, but he was okay.”
- Our top stories:
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit