Toddler found alone in busy street

Police officers take the child yesterday morning

Police officers take the child yesterday morning

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Crime Reporter, also covering Barton and Wood Farm. Call me on (01865) 425427

A TODDLER was last night due to be reunited with his parents after he was found wandering alone in a busy street wearing just a nappy and a T-shirt.

The youngster – thought to be no more than two years old – was spotted in Blackbird Leys, Oxford, shortly after 8am yesterday.

Police officers were called to Sorrel Avenue and picked up the child – who had a dummy in his mouth – in Field Avenue.

Amber Williams, 37, said she asked the youngster where his mother was and he replied: “Sleeping”.

She said: “He was not upset. It did not look like he had been crying.”

The Field Avenue resident said she took a photograph and put it on Facebook in a bid to find the parents.She said she did not want to think about what could have happened to the child, adding: “There are double-decker buses coming through here.”

Mum-of-two Alison Haines, 42, also appealed on Facebook to trace the parents of the child.

The Field Avenue resident said: “It is very concerning to see a little boy running around at 8am on his own – especially in this day and age.

“I just hope mum and dad are found and they are reunited in the best way.”

Officers spent time knocking on doors in a bid to trace the child’s parents.

A mother-of-one from Field Avenue, who asked not to be named, said she had been upset by the incident as she had a three-year-old.

The woman said: “This is the main Blackbird Leys bus route so if the kid went in the road it would have been awful.

“It has really upset me. I have a child – how could you not notice your child going missing?”

Thames Valley Police spokesman Chris Kearney yesterday said the force did not know the child’s exact age but it was believed he was aged two or younger.

He also said yesterday the child did not appear to be injured and the force had not launched a criminal investigation into the incident.

An NSPCC spokesman said: “We know that young children can wander off in minutes and we understand the pressures that parents can face.

“However, we would urge parents to keep a close eye on their children and to never leave young children playing unsupervised.”

Oxfordshire County Council spokesman Owen Morton last night said: “A toddler was found wandering on the pavement in Oxford early this morning by a member of the public who contacted the police.

“Social care staff from the county council looked after the child while the parents were located and the matter was resolved.

“The child is now being reunited with the parents.”

 

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

 

  • Our top stories

Snow across Oxfordshire - in readers' pictures + forecast

Oxford Mail:

7:43am Saturday 31st January 2015

IT'S been snowing overnight in Oxfordshire and here's some of the pictures our readers have sent in.

Celebrations as the Blavatnik building is 'topped out'

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 31st January 2015

BUILDERS and Oxford University dons have celebrated “topping out” one of Oxford’s newest and most prominent buildings.

Oxfordshire County Council scrapping its chief executive role

Oxford Mail: Joanna Simons

8:30am Saturday 31st January 2015

OXFORDSHIRE’s biggest local authority is to scrap its top unelected position as part of a radical shake-up to save costs.

Minister visits arson hit South Oxfordshire councils building

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Saturday 31st January 2015

MINISTER Penny Mordaunt toured burned-out council headquarters to show her support for staff.

Churchill: The Bladon verger who met him in Germany and then was at his burial

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Saturday 31st January 2015

A 91-YEAR-OLD who served as a verger at the burial of Sir Winston Churchill has recounted the historic day 50 years on.

Churchill: I remember our football match was stopped as the train carrying his body passed

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Saturday 31st January 2015

FOR years Mike Cross was confused about why a football match he was playing in as a 16-year-old was suspended as a train went past.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree