A BENEFIT fraudster has been jailed for four months after claiming more than £47,000 he was not entitled to.
Antar Sabbah, of York Avenue, Headington, was given a prison sentence after appearing at Oxford Magistrates’ Court on Monday last week.
The 61-year-old admitted dishonestly claiming council tax benefit, jobseekers’ allowance and employment and support allowance.
His offences took place between December 2008 and April last year when a spokesman for Oxford City Council said he was in work.
As a result he was charged with dishonestly failing to declare his employment to the city council and the Department for Work and Pensions Carol Quainton, fraud investigations manager at the council, said: “During the summing up, the magistrate commented that it was one of the worse cases of benefit fraud they had dealt with in recent times.
“If you are aware of people committing this type of fraud, it is important to contact the council as we will take action against those who commit it as this case proves.”
Sabbah will also have to pay back the money to the council and the Department for Work and Pensions.
Anyone with concerns that a person they know is claiming benefits when they should not be can contact the city council’s Benefit Fraud line on 01865 252222, email email@example.com or complete the benefit fraud ‘Report it’ form at oxford.gov.uk
- Our top stories:
9:00am Monday 26th January 2015
CITY council tenants’ satisfaction with their homes has plummeted over the past year.
5:00pm Monday 26th January 2015
A TEENAGER accused of knowingly digging holes to bury murdered Jayden Parkinson has been "playing stupid to win over the jury", the prosecution said.
1:59pm Monday 26th January 2015
ONE lane of the London Road, Headington, has been closed after a manhole collapsed.
8:30am Monday 26th January 2015
AN INTREPID missing cat has been found in Bicester, 200 miles from its home.
8:00am Monday 26th January 2015
MORE than 12,000 people turned out for the official opening of the £9m Leys Pools and Leisure Centre at the weekend when fees were waived.
7:00am Monday 26th January 2015
SCHOOLS in Oxfordshire are set to lose out on nearly £450,000 in extra funding.