A man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a man in his 70s was attacked in Littlemore.
Police were called at 8.10am to the scene in Long Wall where the victim was found with stab wounds.
He is receiving treatment at hospital for his injuries where he remains in a serious but stable condition.
Speaking of the assault, Det Insp John Turner of Oxford CID said: “The investigation is at an early stage, however, we can confirm there is no threat to the wider community and the victim and offender are known to each other.”
A scene watch currently remains in place.
A 56 year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and wounding with intent and is currently in police custody.
- Our top stories:
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation