Family of girl with rare illness calls for help to complete Helen & Douglas House upgrade

The Lyon family, from left, Andy, Sienna, Ella, Kay and Jamie and, below, Helen & Douglas House

The Lyon family, from left, Andy, Sienna, Ella, Kay and Jamie and, below, Helen & Douglas House

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Blackbird Leys and Greater Leys. Call me on 01865 425403

THE mother of a seriously-ill toddler, who suffers from seizures dozens of times a week, has called for people to support Oxford’s Helen & Douglas House hospice.

Two-year-old Sienna Lyon was born with a rare form of epilepsy and spends several weeks of each year at the hospice in East Oxford.

Her mother, Kay, said: “We’ve been visiting Helen House since Sienna was about seven months old.

“It’s so lovely, because it gives me time to play with her without doing all of the care. I feel so supported there, it has got a real family atmosphere.”

Generous Oxfordshire residents have given £500,000 towards refurbishment work at the hospice since last year, but that is only half of the amount needed.

The remaining money is needed as soon as possible to complete the work.

It will bring the hospice, which opened in 1982, up to modern standards of care.

Mrs Lyon, also mum to 10-year-old Jamie and Ella, eight, said: “Children are living longer, so there’s more that they need to cater for.

“It was looking a bit dated. There aren’t all the facilities in the room they need, like piped oxygen. You can see that with bigger wheelchairs for older children you couldn’t get more than one or two going down a corridor at a time. They need to be made wider.

“The spa, music, art and play areas are places we spend time together and they, along with the kitchen and dining areas, do need updating.”

Mrs Lyon, who lives with her husband Andy, a management consultant, in Wootton, near Abingdon, said: “You can’t keep something going for 30 years and expect it to last another 30 years without any work.”

Sienna has idiopathic generalised epilepsy, where mutations in her genes cause her to have a large number of epileptic fits.

Mrs Lyon said: “It’s a horrible condition. She once had 71 hours of continuous seizures, but then she can have weeks without any.

“Her development stopped at three months old, so she’s still playing on the floor and doing baby movements.

“I couldn’t bear to watch her fit at the beginning, but I’ve had to get tougher and get used to it.”

Helen & Douglas House cares for more than 300 children with life-shortening illnesses.

Its director of income generation Lindsey Rennard said: “We would like to thank everyone who has made a donation so far, but we do need to raise the final £500,000 by the end of the summer to complete the work to ensure our families from Oxfordshire can enjoy the most up-to-date facilities when they come and stay with us.”

  • Our top stories

Update: Man arrested after teenager raped in city centre

Oxford Mail:

11:57am Saturday 20th September 2014

A MAN was arrested today after a teenager was raped in central Oxford.

Woman raped in Headington flat

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

3:24pm Saturday 20th September 2014

A WOMAN was followed into a Headington flat and raped this morning. 

Referendum vote gives PM a spring in his step

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 20th September 2014

WITNEY MP David Cameron has congratulated the people of Burford for organising a mock “referendum” on the issue of Scottish independence – but has admitted he was more relieved to find out the result of the actual poll.

Oxford United Wright issues warning

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 20th September 2014

Jake Wright believes it will be key for Oxford United to avoid getting dragged into a physical contest if they are to build on a midweek win when Stevenage visit today.

It's off - three-day city festival is cancelled

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 20th September 2014

A THREE-day festival set to take place on Oxford’s South Park next weekend has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales and rumours that one of its big name stars had pulled out.

Google wipes search results for 20 people's convictions after just one person's 'Right To Be Forgotten' request

Oxford Mail:

8:40am Saturday 20th September 2014

THE convictions of 20 people have been wiped from Google search results because of a single complaint in the latest controversy caused by a controversial European privacy ruling.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree