Update: Firefighters looking through CCTV to discover cause of Grundon blaze in Ewelme + Videos and pictures

The fire at Grundon, taken by the NPAS police helicopter

The fire at Grundon, taken by the NPAS police helicopter

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Assistant Editor

FIRE investigators are today looking through CCTV to discover what started the blaze at the Grundon waste depot in Ewelme.

About 75 firefighters - including crews from Banbury, Berkshire and Banbury - tackled the blaze at the depot in Goulds Grove for almost six hours last night.

Incident commander Nigel Wilson said it was not yet caused the fire, nor exactly where it started.

However, it is understood the fire started outside and then spread to a sorting building.

It was in an area where hazardous chemicals are stored and a plume of smoke rose high over the site, sparking a warning to people living up to 10 miles away to close their doors and windows.

Mr Wilson said: "It was a fairly substantial fire.

"I would not like to speculate on the cause. Investigators have got CCTV of the entire site and at some point today will establish where the fire started and what caused it."

Firefighters were alerted at about 7.20pm and Mr Wilson said: "The fire was brought under control at about 1am and we had a position where I was comfortable we had put it out by about 3am."

Mr Wilson expected firefighters would leave the depot at some point today.

  • Reader video from Lu Anthony

A 200-metre safety cordon was put around the depot during the fire.

  • Reader video from Mark Goldie

Oxford Mail:

Oxford Mail: The fire at Grundon, courtesy of reader Luuunatik

  • Photos from reader Lu Anthony

Oxford Mail:

Oxford Mail:

Oxford Mail:

Our top stories:

One in three children in parts of Oxford are living in poverty, says charity

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Thursday 30th October 2014

ONE in three children are living in poverty in areas of the city, a charity has found.

UPDATE: Road reopens after car overturns in Heyford Road, Middleton Stoney

Oxford Mail: Ambulance stock image

10:12am Thursday 30th October 2014

A woman has been taken to hospital following a crash in Middleton Stoney.

LONDON WELSH: Piri Weepu plays down injury concerns

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Thursday 30th October 2014

LONDON Welsh scrum half Piri Weepu yesterday played down concerns about the ankle injury that has left his right foot in a protective boot.

More than 40 Oxford buildings to get free wi-fi

Oxford Mail: Oxford Ice Rink

9:30am Thursday 30th October 2014

ART galleries, civic buildings and even Oxford Ice Rink will soon have free wi-fi thanks to government investment.

London Welsh scrum on down for a bit of action at Oxford's Radcliffe Camera

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Thursday 30th October 2014

LONDON Welsh rugby players are well known for their big hits on opponents in the Aviva Premiership, but yesterday they were the big hits as they took the Big City Scrum to the streets of Oxford.

Bishop of Oxford's farewell eucharist

Oxford Mail:

9:10am Thursday 30th October 2014

A farewell eucharist will be held today at Christ Church cathedral for the retiring Bishop of Oxford.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:17pm Mon 23 Jun 14

King Joke says...

THe story above this blamed the blaze on 'hot weather'... it was 22 C for God's sake, that isn't hot!

It's a worry if a moderately warm summer's day can trigger a factory blaze.
THe story above this blamed the blaze on 'hot weather'... it was 22 C for God's sake, that isn't hot! It's a worry if a moderately warm summer's day can trigger a factory blaze. King Joke
  • Score: -1

10:31pm Mon 23 Jun 14

OxfordLad30 says...

King Joke wrote:
THe story above this blamed the blaze on 'hot weather'... it was 22 C for God's sake, that isn't hot!

It's a worry if a moderately warm summer's day can trigger a factory blaze.
If the air alone got hot enough on a summer's day to start a fire, then we'd be in a lot of trouble!

You have clearly failed to consider the power of the sun and that it's a place where hazardous waste is processed.
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: THe story above this blamed the blaze on 'hot weather'... it was 22 C for God's sake, that isn't hot! It's a worry if a moderately warm summer's day can trigger a factory blaze.[/p][/quote]If the air alone got hot enough on a summer's day to start a fire, then we'd be in a lot of trouble! You have clearly failed to consider the power of the sun and that it's a place where hazardous waste is processed. OxfordLad30
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree