House fire murder trial told of continuous phone calls

Oxford Mail: . .

A WOMAN has told a court how her family was harassed with phone calls in the months leading up to an arson attack which killed two of her siblings.

Annis Akhtar was yesterday giving evidence on the third day of a murder trial at Oxford Crown Cour.

Fiaz Munshi, 38, is accused of murdering eight-year-old Anum Khan and her brother Majid, 15, in a revenge arson plot after she was shamed in a family feud.

The Khan family had blamed Munshi and others after their son Amjad – who was in a secret relationship with her – was jailed for plotting to deal heroin. The siblings died in a fire at their family home in Magdalen Road, Oxford, in August 1997. Miss Akhtar said there were calls to the house landline continuously and it was believed that Munshi, now of Manley Road in Oldham, and her sister Riaz were behind them. Riaz was later jailed for manslaughter.

She said Anum answered a call the evening before the fire. Miss Akhtar said: “She told my dad ‘it’s those silly girls again’.”

Miss Akhtar also told the court about a fight with the sisters at their then homein Freelands Road, Oxford.

She said Riaz shouted at Miss Akhtar and her mother, sister and brother Majid: “You are playing with fire.”

Defence barrister Stephen Kamlish said this had been made up as it had not been mentioned in her first statement to police two days after the fire. He said: “You and your sisters and brother have all thought about the impression you are creating with the jury and you are thinking carefully about how you are giving your evidence.”

Prosecutor Neil Moore said to Miss Akhtar: “It is being suggested this is a family invention, what do you say to that.”

She said: “There would be no need. We had suffered a great loss and had gone through a lot of pain coming to terms with what happened.”

Five men were jailed for the murder in 1998.

The trial will continue on Monday.

• Our top stories:

A40 re-opens after three-car crash near Eynsham

Oxford Mail:

5:05pm Wednesday 20th August 2014

A DUAL carriageway has been re-opened after a three-car crash which seriously injured a male driver.

Work starts on new care home development

Oxford Mail: Resident’s petition to stop new build fails

5:00pm Wednesday 20th August 2014

WORK has begun on a £1.2m care home development in Letcombe Regis near Wantage.

Defibrillator need gets to heart of the matter

Oxford Mail:

5:00pm Wednesday 20th August 2014

THEY can be the difference between life and death, but about 200 more defibrillators are needed in Oxfordshire. The Oxford Mail is backing a senior ambulance manager’s campaign for more of the devices to be installed by rural communities

Man trapped in vehicle after four-car crash on A40

Oxford Mail:

1:53pm Wednesday 20th August 2014

A DRIVER has suffered serious leg injuries after a head-on crash that has closed the A40.

Listen: Coroner in Clint Townsend inquest rules death by misadventure + Audio of sister Hailey paying tribute to him

Oxford Mail: Oxfordshire County Council county hall

12:02pm Wednesday 20th August 2014

A verdict of death by misadventure has been delivered by the coroner in Clint Townsend inquest. 

Four people arrested in connection with letter bomb attack at Oxford army recruitment centre and five others

Oxford Mail:

1:04pm Wednesday 20th August 2014

Four people have been arrested on suspicion of involvement in a spate of attempted dissident republican letter bomb attacks in Northern Ireland and south-east England, including on a number of Armed Forces recruitment offices.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree