A MAN has been given a community order for sexually assaulting a nine-year-old boy.
Paul Biggs, 22, of The Penn, Over Norton, near Chipping Norton, was found guilty of the offence which happened on September 1, 2007, last month.
The boy cannot be named for legal reasons.
Biggs, who has learning difficulties, was 16 at the time.
A jury at Oxford Crown Court cleared Biggs of one further count of sexual assault, two counts of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, and one count of rape.
Sentencing him yesterday, Judge Patrick Eccles said: “Sexually touching a child may have very bad consequences for them in later life, nobody knows how they will feel about it.
“That is why it is taken very seriously by the courts. Had you been convicted of all of the offences then you would have been sent to prison. That is not happening to you but this is serious enough for a community order.”
He added: “You were only 16 yourself and the court recognises because you have significant learning difficulties you might not have appreciated this type of sexual experimenting could have bad consequences for the young boy you touched.”
He was given a 12-month community order, with a supervision requirement, and must do 100 hours of unpaid work.
He must also sign the sex offenders’ register for five years and pay £300 towards costs.
Our top stories:
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK
- Stunt actor from Oxford meets his match on Take Me Out
- 11 years on, pupils jump for joy over installation of crossing
- Barton gets £4m cash boost to transform estate’s homes and shops
- Time-travelling story takes top spot in our Ox Tales competition
- Former Oxford City director Thomas Guerriero pleads guilty to $6.6m fraud
- Police confirm dead baby was newborn and renew desperate appeal to find mother
- Adam says yes after reading girlfriend's Leap Day proposal on the Oxford Mail website