Just in time for the summer cycling season . . .

Oxford Mail: James Styring James Styring

Cycling campaigner James Styring delivers the viewpoint of those on two wheels

It’s peak cycling season again. I know this not because of the balmy, cloudless days and long, bright evenings, but because my arms and legs are a-tingling.

The local off-road trails are normally a mudfest featuring logs half-chewed by fighting dogs, dragged and dropped across the pathway, and plantlife that could survive a nuclear winter. All of a sudden, the tracks are a riot of verdant stems, overrun with brambles and stinging nettles, vicious plants pushing each other out of the way, vying for every ounce of sunlight.

Hence my forearms and legs look like I’ve been wrestling with the neighbour’s cat. My shins feel like they’ve been shallow-fried, and throb for a good 24 hours.

After rides, my toddler treats me like some sort of war-hero. She rushes up with her medical bag and, sitting me down on the bench, uses a plastic hypodermic needle to resuscitate me and a stethoscope to check my toes. She cleans the mud and blood away with wipes, and covers the biggest cuts with Peppa Pig sticking plasters.

Peak cycling season also brings out the novice cyclists in their hundreds. They are instantly recognisable, bless them. They ride gingerly too near the gutter, wearing ‘cycling clothing’ still creased and box-fresh, and shiny helmets like talismans against getting crushed by traffic. But for every newbie who braves the traffic on two wheels, there are dozens in Oxford who refuse to cycle because “it’s too dangerous”.

Everyone feels intimidated by the rush of air and the whoosh of engine when a vehicle rushes past too quickly and too close. That’s one reason why “It’s Twenty for a Reason” in Oxford, and thank goodness the police have finally decided to enforce the 20 limits more proactively. Hit by a car at 40mph, a cyclist has an 85 per cent chance of being killed while at 20mph the risk falls to just five per cent. Children’s deaths and injuries are typically reduced by 67 per cent where 20mph speed limit are enforced.

The real victor in the 20mph debate is everybody who lives in the city. The civilising effect of lower speeds makes streets much pleasanter places for residents, enjoying the warm air through open front windows. There’s also so much less road noise when cars obey the 20 limits.

At 20mph, drivers have eye contact with the people in the street: cyclists and pedestrians know they’ve been seen and drivers are less inclined to muscle their way along “their” road. At speeds over 30mph, drivers see less and care less. Lower city speeds benefit drivers, too. Slow-moving cars require fewer controls and allow a more efficient city, with no accelerating from one queue to the next. Motor vehicles and cycles merge with ease at 20mph, and pedestrians can cross roads, too.

“It’s Twenty for a Reason” – loads of reasons – but still way too many drivers speed. Bring on that enforcement, I say.

Comments (31)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:15am Tue 10 Jun 14

BigAlBiker says...

He says at 20mph we have eye contact with drivers, weird that as when i was doing 20 mph down St Giles the other day a cyclist came past me so he had no chance of catching my eye.

Do the sped limits apply to cyclists as well as motorised vehicles?
He says at 20mph we have eye contact with drivers, weird that as when i was doing 20 mph down St Giles the other day a cyclist came past me so he had no chance of catching my eye. Do the sped limits apply to cyclists as well as motorised vehicles? BigAlBiker
  • Score: -7

10:35am Tue 10 Jun 14

Geoff Roberts says...

"thank goodness the police have finally decided to enforce the 20 limits more proactively."

"Decided"?

I've also decided I want to go and live in a big forest, near a beach and the ocean, for the rest of my life, in peace.


"proactively"?

It's useless. What it means is that they are going to do more operations where they catch drivers in certain areas and make a noise about it with the vague possibility of putting a few people off doing it on a day-to-day basis.

This would only work if it's done on most days, not the odd day.

People soon ignore these things and take the risk. Not only that but doing it in a single high profile area may even give a green light to people doing it elsewhere.

A real example:

An email went around at one of the city's biggest employers, the email was sent by an employee, telling other employees about the police doing a speed check somewhere, the responses weren't "Oh that's good, the roads will be safer" the responses where "thanks for letting me know, I'll go the other way".

The only way we're going to stop speeding is by everyone showing their disgust for it and by the police spending more time dealing with crime.

All the road signs, campaigning and money spent on changing speed limits appears to have brought little or no benefit to most people.

The people said before it was done that they could not enforce it and they haven't.

This is partly, or almost completely because the speed guns cost around £5000 each. The police are also almost dysfunctional when it comes to these kind of things, they pay lip service with operations, get figures up, get a few fines but when it comes to stopping crime they are ineffective.
"thank goodness the police have finally decided to enforce the 20 limits more proactively." "Decided"? I've also decided I want to go and live in a big forest, near a beach and the ocean, for the rest of my life, in peace. "proactively"? It's useless. What it means is that they are going to do more operations where they catch drivers in certain areas and make a noise about it with the vague possibility of putting a few people off doing it on a day-to-day basis. This would only work if it's done on most days, not the odd day. People soon ignore these things and take the risk. Not only that but doing it in a single high profile area may even give a green light to people doing it elsewhere. A real example: An email went around at one of the city's biggest employers, the email was sent by an employee, telling other employees about the police doing a speed check somewhere, the responses weren't "Oh that's good, the roads will be safer" the responses where "thanks for letting me know, I'll go the other way". The only way we're going to stop speeding is by everyone showing their disgust for it and by the police spending more time dealing with crime. All the road signs, campaigning and money spent on changing speed limits appears to have brought little or no benefit to most people. The people said before it was done that they could not enforce it and they haven't. This is partly, or almost completely because the speed guns cost around £5000 each. The police are also almost dysfunctional when it comes to these kind of things, they pay lip service with operations, get figures up, get a few fines but when it comes to stopping crime they are ineffective. Geoff Roberts
  • Score: -5

10:40am Tue 10 Jun 14

Geoff Roberts says...

I'd like some of these cyclists to stop referring to the 'traffic' please.

Cyclist on the pavement: "I'm just avoiding the traffic"
Me: "You are the traffic"

As noted above, there are rules that apply to cyclists too and all too often I read things like this and it's apparent that there's some pushing away of responsibility here and I think it's counter productive because it's confrontational with drivers.
I'd like some of these cyclists to stop referring to the 'traffic' please. Cyclist on the pavement: "I'm just avoiding the traffic" Me: "You are the traffic" As noted above, there are rules that apply to cyclists too and all too often I read things like this and it's apparent that there's some pushing away of responsibility here and I think it's counter productive because it's confrontational with drivers. Geoff Roberts
  • Score: -3

11:20am Tue 10 Jun 14

museli says...

BigAlBiker wrote:
He says at 20mph we have eye contact with drivers, weird that as when i was doing 20 mph down St Giles the other day a cyclist came past me so he had no chance of catching my eye.

Do the sped limits apply to cyclists as well as motorised vehicles?
No they don't. The Road traffic Regulation Act specifies: 'the driving of motor vehicles on that road at a speed exceeding that specified in the order' - it's not against the law to exceed the limit on a push bike.
[quote][p][bold]BigAlBiker[/bold] wrote: He says at 20mph we have eye contact with drivers, weird that as when i was doing 20 mph down St Giles the other day a cyclist came past me so he had no chance of catching my eye. Do the sped limits apply to cyclists as well as motorised vehicles?[/p][/quote]No they don't. The Road traffic Regulation Act specifies: 'the driving of motor vehicles on that road at a speed exceeding that specified in the order' - it's not against the law to exceed the limit on a push bike. museli
  • Score: 12

11:50am Tue 10 Jun 14

xenarthra says...

Geoff Roberts wrote:
I'd like some of these cyclists to stop referring to the 'traffic' please.

Cyclist on the pavement: "I'm just avoiding the traffic"
Me: "You are the traffic"

As noted above, there are rules that apply to cyclists too and all too often I read things like this and it's apparent that there's some pushing away of responsibility here and I think it's counter productive because it's confrontational with drivers.
I don't understand what your grievance is with this article. I can't find anything in it that's inconsistent with cyclists also being traffic.

The first comment is wrong: speed limits do not apply to bicycles (because they are not required to have speedometers, and because fast cyclists rarely kill or injure anyone).

There are good and bad cyclists. There are good and bad drivers. However, bad drivers kill far more people than bad cyclists do.
[quote][p][bold]Geoff Roberts[/bold] wrote: I'd like some of these cyclists to stop referring to the 'traffic' please. Cyclist on the pavement: "I'm just avoiding the traffic" Me: "You are the traffic" As noted above, there are rules that apply to cyclists too and all too often I read things like this and it's apparent that there's some pushing away of responsibility here and I think it's counter productive because it's confrontational with drivers.[/p][/quote]I don't understand what your grievance is with this article. I can't find anything in it that's inconsistent with cyclists also being traffic. The first comment is wrong: speed limits do not apply to bicycles (because they are not required to have speedometers, and because fast cyclists rarely kill or injure anyone). There are good and bad cyclists. There are good and bad drivers. However, bad drivers kill far more people than bad cyclists do. xenarthra
  • Score: 16

11:58am Tue 10 Jun 14

xenarthra says...

BigAlBiker wrote:
He says at 20mph we have eye contact with drivers, weird that as when i was doing 20 mph down St Giles the other day a cyclist came past me so he had no chance of catching my eye.

Do the sped limits apply to cyclists as well as motorised vehicles?
As has already been noted, speed limits don't apply to cyclists. Drivers also shouldn't be surprised when a cyclists overtakes them; they are perfectly entitled to, so long as it's safe. It's not as if drivers don't overtake cyclists in Oxford on a very regular basis (even if many of them don't fully appreciate that they are performing an overtaking manoeuvre each time).

But your point about car and cyclists mixing at similar speeds is a good one. Contrary to the author of this article, when I cycle I would prefer cars to be able to overtake me quickly and move on. I don't think the 20 mph limit helps improve cyclists' safety, as it encourages slow, drawn-out overtaking, by both parties, which is a danger to everyone.
[quote][p][bold]BigAlBiker[/bold] wrote: He says at 20mph we have eye contact with drivers, weird that as when i was doing 20 mph down St Giles the other day a cyclist came past me so he had no chance of catching my eye. Do the sped limits apply to cyclists as well as motorised vehicles?[/p][/quote]As has already been noted, speed limits don't apply to cyclists. Drivers also shouldn't be surprised when a cyclists overtakes them; they are perfectly entitled to, so long as it's safe. It's not as if drivers don't overtake cyclists in Oxford on a very regular basis (even if many of them don't fully appreciate that they are performing an overtaking manoeuvre each time). But your point about car and cyclists mixing at similar speeds is a good one. Contrary to the author of this article, when I cycle I would prefer cars to be able to overtake me quickly and move on. I don't think the 20 mph limit helps improve cyclists' safety, as it encourages slow, drawn-out overtaking, by both parties, which is a danger to everyone. xenarthra
  • Score: 15

12:43pm Tue 10 Jun 14

HomerSimpsonDoh says...

"Children’s deaths and injuries are typically reduced by 67 per cent where 20mph speed limit are enforced"
and if we travelled at 5mph with a man in front waving a flag, there would be no deaths.
"Children’s deaths and injuries are typically reduced by 67 per cent where 20mph speed limit are enforced" and if we travelled at 5mph with a man in front waving a flag, there would be no deaths. HomerSimpsonDoh
  • Score: -12

1:11pm Tue 10 Jun 14

museli says...

HomerSimpsonDoh wrote:
"Children’s deaths and injuries are typically reduced by 67 per cent where 20mph speed limit are enforced"
and if we travelled at 5mph with a man in front waving a flag, there would be no deaths.
Probably be an increase in deaths unless they could find men who could wave flags and walk real fast at the same time ;)
[quote][p][bold]HomerSimpsonDoh[/bold] wrote: "Children’s deaths and injuries are typically reduced by 67 per cent where 20mph speed limit are enforced" and if we travelled at 5mph with a man in front waving a flag, there would be no deaths.[/p][/quote]Probably be an increase in deaths unless they could find men who could wave flags and walk real fast at the same time ;) museli
  • Score: -7

2:18pm Tue 10 Jun 14

TobyB1960 says...

museli wrote:
HomerSimpsonDoh wrote:
"Children’s deaths and injuries are typically reduced by 67 per cent where 20mph speed limit are enforced"
and if we travelled at 5mph with a man in front waving a flag, there would be no deaths.
Probably be an increase in deaths unless they could find men who could wave flags and walk real fast at the same time ;)
I'm very much in favour of a very sharp spike coming out the steering wheel and no seat belts, then we wouldn't need to worry about speed limits.
[quote][p][bold]museli[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HomerSimpsonDoh[/bold] wrote: "Children’s deaths and injuries are typically reduced by 67 per cent where 20mph speed limit are enforced" and if we travelled at 5mph with a man in front waving a flag, there would be no deaths.[/p][/quote]Probably be an increase in deaths unless they could find men who could wave flags and walk real fast at the same time ;)[/p][/quote]I'm very much in favour of a very sharp spike coming out the steering wheel and no seat belts, then we wouldn't need to worry about speed limits. TobyB1960
  • Score: 11

2:19pm Tue 10 Jun 14

## Nonny Mouse ## says...

The weather's going to be nice for the next week at least. Why don't you miserable so and so's who seemingly frequent the OM just to troll cycling stories, actually get out on a bicycle and experience it for yourselves.

You may, shock horror, break a sweat. But, I bet you'll enjoy it.
The weather's going to be nice for the next week at least. Why don't you miserable so and so's who seemingly frequent the OM just to troll cycling stories, actually get out on a bicycle and experience it for yourselves. You may, shock horror, break a sweat. But, I bet you'll enjoy it. ## Nonny Mouse ##
  • Score: 11

2:43pm Tue 10 Jun 14

King Joke says...

Judging from the above comments, driving a car makes you very angry and miserable. I'm glad I don't do it much.
Judging from the above comments, driving a car makes you very angry and miserable. I'm glad I don't do it much. King Joke
  • Score: 14

3:09pm Tue 10 Jun 14

cubist says...

king joke, i think motorist (which i'm one as well as a keen cyclist) don't like to be stuck in traffic when bikes are not.
king joke, i think motorist (which i'm one as well as a keen cyclist) don't like to be stuck in traffic when bikes are not. cubist
  • Score: 14

3:10pm Tue 10 Jun 14

natox78 says...

Then if you all get out of your cars onto bikes, there is no traffic jams. Simples.
Then if you all get out of your cars onto bikes, there is no traffic jams. Simples. natox78
  • Score: 11

4:38pm Tue 10 Jun 14

HomerSimpsonDoh says...

## Nonny Mouse ## wrote:
The weather's going to be nice for the next week at least. Why don't you miserable so and so's who seemingly frequent the OM just to troll cycling stories, actually get out on a bicycle and experience it for yourselves.

You may, shock horror, break a sweat. But, I bet you'll enjoy it.
And soon as the weathers bad your all back in your cars!
[quote][p][bold]## Nonny Mouse ##[/bold] wrote: The weather's going to be nice for the next week at least. Why don't you miserable so and so's who seemingly frequent the OM just to troll cycling stories, actually get out on a bicycle and experience it for yourselves. You may, shock horror, break a sweat. But, I bet you'll enjoy it.[/p][/quote]And soon as the weathers bad your all back in your cars! HomerSimpsonDoh
  • Score: -11

7:17pm Tue 10 Jun 14

Dilligaf2010 says...

I wish the O.M. would stop putting that picture next to his articles, I keep wanting to punch my monitor......
I wish the O.M. would stop putting that picture next to his articles, I keep wanting to punch my monitor...... Dilligaf2010
  • Score: -3

8:41am Wed 11 Jun 14

paddy173 says...

Dilligaf2010 wrote:
I wish the O.M. would stop putting that picture next to his articles, I keep wanting to punch my monitor......
I cycle about 100 miles a week and I want to do the same. what an annoying twerp. He is such an opinionated self righteous idiot and probably does more harm to cycling/cyclists than anyone else on here.
[quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: I wish the O.M. would stop putting that picture next to his articles, I keep wanting to punch my monitor......[/p][/quote]I cycle about 100 miles a week and I want to do the same. what an annoying twerp. He is such an opinionated self righteous idiot and probably does more harm to cycling/cyclists than anyone else on here. paddy173
  • Score: 1

8:42am Wed 11 Jun 14

King Joke says...

paddy173 wrote:
Dilligaf2010 wrote:
I wish the O.M. would stop putting that picture next to his articles, I keep wanting to punch my monitor......
I cycle about 100 miles a week and I want to do the same. what an annoying twerp. He is such an opinionated self righteous idiot and probably does more harm to cycling/cyclists than anyone else on here.
As I understand it he is no longer the head/spokesman of Cyclox.
[quote][p][bold]paddy173[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: I wish the O.M. would stop putting that picture next to his articles, I keep wanting to punch my monitor......[/p][/quote]I cycle about 100 miles a week and I want to do the same. what an annoying twerp. He is such an opinionated self righteous idiot and probably does more harm to cycling/cyclists than anyone else on here.[/p][/quote]As I understand it he is no longer the head/spokesman of Cyclox. King Joke
  • Score: 10

8:45am Wed 11 Jun 14

natox78 says...

That can only be a good thing!
That can only be a good thing! natox78
  • Score: 2

8:45am Wed 11 Jun 14

paddy173 says...

and as for his sarcastic comments about newbies wearing gear straight out of the box and shiney helmets its people like him that put people off getting out there, instead as he ( I am assuming) whizzes past give some acknowledgement or encouragement. Its a shame his daughter doesnt put a great big plaster over his gob and bandage his fingers.
Bet He has one of those "Road Tax was Abolished in 1937 "Jereys
and as for his sarcastic comments about newbies wearing gear straight out of the box and shiney helmets its people like him that put people off getting out there, instead as he ( I am assuming) whizzes past give some acknowledgement or encouragement. Its a shame his daughter doesnt put a great big plaster over his gob and bandage his fingers. Bet He has one of those "Road Tax was Abolished in 1937 "Jereys paddy173
  • Score: 0

8:27am Thu 12 Jun 14

livid99 says...

paddy173 wrote:
Dilligaf2010 wrote:
I wish the O.M. would stop putting that picture next to his articles, I keep wanting to punch my monitor......
I cycle about 100 miles a week and I want to do the same. what an annoying twerp. He is such an opinionated self righteous idiot and probably does more harm to cycling/cyclists than anyone else on here.
Totally agree. It can be clearly seen that cyclists on here are short tempered and very sensitive, and totally over-react to any sort of "anti-cycling" criticism....and yet this guy regularly writes these articles knowing full well that he will generate another argument between the 2 sides. If he is so pro-cycling, shouldn't he try NOT to fan the flames ? Seems like he tries to provoke arguments with his rather pointless articles.
[quote][p][bold]paddy173[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: I wish the O.M. would stop putting that picture next to his articles, I keep wanting to punch my monitor......[/p][/quote]I cycle about 100 miles a week and I want to do the same. what an annoying twerp. He is such an opinionated self righteous idiot and probably does more harm to cycling/cyclists than anyone else on here.[/p][/quote]Totally agree. It can be clearly seen that cyclists on here are short tempered and very sensitive, and totally over-react to any sort of "anti-cycling" criticism....and yet this guy regularly writes these articles knowing full well that he will generate another argument between the 2 sides. If he is so pro-cycling, shouldn't he try NOT to fan the flames ? Seems like he tries to provoke arguments with his rather pointless articles. livid99
  • Score: -3

8:31am Thu 12 Jun 14

livid99 says...

"After rides, my toddler treats me like some sort of war-hero. She rushes up with her medical bag and, sitting me down on the bench, uses a plastic hypodermic needle to resuscitate me and a stethoscope to check my toes. She cleans the mud and blood away with wipes, and covers the biggest cuts with Peppa Pig sticking plasters. "

War hero ??? Pass the sick bucket :-(
If cycling is such an ordeal, perhaps you should get a ******* car !
"After rides, my toddler treats me like some sort of war-hero. She rushes up with her medical bag and, sitting me down on the bench, uses a plastic hypodermic needle to resuscitate me and a stethoscope to check my toes. She cleans the mud and blood away with wipes, and covers the biggest cuts with Peppa Pig sticking plasters. " War hero ??? Pass the sick bucket :-( If cycling is such an ordeal, perhaps you should get a ******* car ! livid99
  • Score: -6

8:48am Thu 12 Jun 14

grandconjuration says...

livid99 wrote:
paddy173 wrote:
Dilligaf2010 wrote:
I wish the O.M. would stop putting that picture next to his articles, I keep wanting to punch my monitor......
I cycle about 100 miles a week and I want to do the same. what an annoying twerp. He is such an opinionated self righteous idiot and probably does more harm to cycling/cyclists than anyone else on here.
Totally agree. It can be clearly seen that cyclists on here are short tempered and very sensitive, and totally over-react to any sort of "anti-cycling" criticism....and yet this guy regularly writes these articles knowing full well that he will generate another argument between the 2 sides. If he is so pro-cycling, shouldn't he try NOT to fan the flames ? Seems like he tries to provoke arguments with his rather pointless articles.
Styring is paid to write the articles. The articles are deliberately provocative to attract veiws and generate comments. This results in better advertising revenue for the OM. It's called 'click baiting'.
[quote][p][bold]livid99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]paddy173[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: I wish the O.M. would stop putting that picture next to his articles, I keep wanting to punch my monitor......[/p][/quote]I cycle about 100 miles a week and I want to do the same. what an annoying twerp. He is such an opinionated self righteous idiot and probably does more harm to cycling/cyclists than anyone else on here.[/p][/quote]Totally agree. It can be clearly seen that cyclists on here are short tempered and very sensitive, and totally over-react to any sort of "anti-cycling" criticism....and yet this guy regularly writes these articles knowing full well that he will generate another argument between the 2 sides. If he is so pro-cycling, shouldn't he try NOT to fan the flames ? Seems like he tries to provoke arguments with his rather pointless articles.[/p][/quote]Styring is paid to write the articles. The articles are deliberately provocative to attract veiws and generate comments. This results in better advertising revenue for the OM. It's called 'click baiting'. grandconjuration
  • Score: 17

12:39pm Thu 12 Jun 14

locodogz says...

"Peak cycling season also brings out the novice cyclists in their hundreds. They are instantly recognisable, bless them."

Aaah, how patronising, bless you James
"Peak cycling season also brings out the novice cyclists in their hundreds. They are instantly recognisable, bless them." Aaah, how patronising, bless you James locodogz
  • Score: 4

12:35pm Fri 13 Jun 14

yabbadabbadoo256 says...

locodogz wrote:
"Peak cycling season also brings out the novice cyclists in their hundreds. They are instantly recognisable, bless them."

Aaah, how patronising, bless you James
yes in their groups of 8 or 9 when they are doing club events on public highways with a total disregard for other traffic and people around them
[quote][p][bold]locodogz[/bold] wrote: "Peak cycling season also brings out the novice cyclists in their hundreds. They are instantly recognisable, bless them." Aaah, how patronising, bless you James[/p][/quote]yes in their groups of 8 or 9 when they are doing club events on public highways with a total disregard for other traffic and people around them yabbadabbadoo256
  • Score: -3

1:13pm Fri 13 Jun 14

King Joke says...

Disregard for people around them? I wonder why I'm not reading about all the people they are running over. Why the news blackout?
Disregard for people around them? I wonder why I'm not reading about all the people they are running over. Why the news blackout? King Joke
  • Score: 8

1:25pm Fri 13 Jun 14

natox78 says...

Yes, I think the Oxford Mail should stop posting stories about what happens when a ton of metal crashes at 20-70mph and focus more on the damage a 8-13 stone human traveling at 15-20mph does. These light, slow people on the road cause all the damage.
Yes, I think the Oxford Mail should stop posting stories about what happens when a ton of metal crashes at 20-70mph and focus more on the damage a 8-13 stone human traveling at 15-20mph does. These light, slow people on the road cause all the damage. natox78
  • Score: 8

1:22pm Sat 14 Jun 14

olafpalme says...

yabbadabbadoo256 wrote:
locodogz wrote:
"Peak cycling season also brings out the novice cyclists in their hundreds. They are instantly recognisable, bless them."

Aaah, how patronising, bless you James
yes in their groups of 8 or 9 when they are doing club events on public highways with a total disregard for other traffic and people around them
Yes because 1 motorist is so much more important than 8 or 9 other road users. Who also pay tax,
[quote][p][bold]yabbadabbadoo256[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]locodogz[/bold] wrote: "Peak cycling season also brings out the novice cyclists in their hundreds. They are instantly recognisable, bless them." Aaah, how patronising, bless you James[/p][/quote]yes in their groups of 8 or 9 when they are doing club events on public highways with a total disregard for other traffic and people around them[/p][/quote]Yes because 1 motorist is so much more important than 8 or 9 other road users. Who also pay tax, olafpalme
  • Score: 4

3:15pm Sat 14 Jun 14

yabbadabbadoo256 says...

olafpalme wrote:
yabbadabbadoo256 wrote:
locodogz wrote:
"Peak cycling season also brings out the novice cyclists in their hundreds. They are instantly recognisable, bless them."

Aaah, how patronising, bless you James
yes in their groups of 8 or 9 when they are doing club events on public highways with a total disregard for other traffic and people around them
Yes because 1 motorist is so much more important than 8 or 9 other road users. Who also pay tax,
think you miss the point there kind sir. When they are doing their mini "Tour-de-Frances" on the roads without marshalling and consideration to their own safety or that of other users of the highways. That is when they become dangerous to other road users,
[quote][p][bold]olafpalme[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yabbadabbadoo256[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]locodogz[/bold] wrote: "Peak cycling season also brings out the novice cyclists in their hundreds. They are instantly recognisable, bless them." Aaah, how patronising, bless you James[/p][/quote]yes in their groups of 8 or 9 when they are doing club events on public highways with a total disregard for other traffic and people around them[/p][/quote]Yes because 1 motorist is so much more important than 8 or 9 other road users. Who also pay tax,[/p][/quote]think you miss the point there kind sir. When they are doing their mini "Tour-de-Frances" on the roads without marshalling and consideration to their own safety or that of other users of the highways. That is when they become dangerous to other road users, yabbadabbadoo256
  • Score: -6

3:43pm Sat 14 Jun 14

grandconjuration says...

yabbadabbadoo256 wrote:
olafpalme wrote:
yabbadabbadoo256 wrote:
locodogz wrote: "Peak cycling season also brings out the novice cyclists in their hundreds. They are instantly recognisable, bless them." Aaah, how patronising, bless you James
yes in their groups of 8 or 9 when they are doing club events on public highways with a total disregard for other traffic and people around them
Yes because 1 motorist is so much more important than 8 or 9 other road users. Who also pay tax,
think you miss the point there kind sir. When they are doing their mini "Tour-de-Frances" on the roads without marshalling and consideration to their own safety or that of other users of the highways. That is when they become dangerous to other road users,
Please provide evidence for this statement.

It should be Tours de France and not Tour de Frances. It has nothing to do with Frances.
[quote][p][bold]yabbadabbadoo256[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]olafpalme[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yabbadabbadoo256[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]locodogz[/bold] wrote: "Peak cycling season also brings out the novice cyclists in their hundreds. They are instantly recognisable, bless them." Aaah, how patronising, bless you James[/p][/quote]yes in their groups of 8 or 9 when they are doing club events on public highways with a total disregard for other traffic and people around them[/p][/quote]Yes because 1 motorist is so much more important than 8 or 9 other road users. Who also pay tax,[/p][/quote]think you miss the point there kind sir. When they are doing their mini "Tour-de-Frances" on the roads without marshalling and consideration to their own safety or that of other users of the highways. That is when they become dangerous to other road users,[/p][/quote]Please provide evidence for this statement. It should be Tours de France and not Tour de Frances. It has nothing to do with Frances. grandconjuration
  • Score: 3

3:58pm Sat 14 Jun 14

natox78 says...

Also, it is a legal requirment to have a certain amount of marshalls before the police will let you hold events. You can't get the right public liability insurance without them either. We also need them too, so I doubt if there aren't any. It might be they are in their every day clothes so just look like people standing around.

Also, why not have a go at a ride yourself to see why we insist on doing them? You make it around a 60 mile course and you feel fantastic. If you want to try a few, I can let you know some good starter ones.
Also, it is a legal requirment to have a certain amount of marshalls before the police will let you hold events. You can't get the right public liability insurance without them either. We also need them too, so I doubt if there aren't any. It might be they are in their every day clothes so just look like people standing around. Also, why not have a go at a ride yourself to see why we insist on doing them? You make it around a 60 mile course and you feel fantastic. If you want to try a few, I can let you know some good starter ones. natox78
  • Score: 4

5:34pm Mon 16 Jun 14

The New Private Eye says...

museli wrote:
BigAlBiker wrote:
He says at 20mph we have eye contact with drivers, weird that as when i was doing 20 mph down St Giles the other day a cyclist came past me so he had no chance of catching my eye.

Do the sped limits apply to cyclists as well as motorised vehicles?
No they don't. The Road traffic Regulation Act specifies: 'the driving of motor vehicles on that road at a speed exceeding that specified in the order' - it's not against the law to exceed the limit on a push bike.
Not a specific offence, but it is VERY dangerous, and I would not like to be hit by a 13 stone man doing 30mph up St Giles. Cycles do not have brakes that can stop the rider doing that speed. But there are other laws that cover this kind of anti-social behaviour by cyclists on the road. It is a real crying shame that the police do not enforce it more
[quote][p][bold]museli[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigAlBiker[/bold] wrote: He says at 20mph we have eye contact with drivers, weird that as when i was doing 20 mph down St Giles the other day a cyclist came past me so he had no chance of catching my eye. Do the sped limits apply to cyclists as well as motorised vehicles?[/p][/quote]No they don't. The Road traffic Regulation Act specifies: 'the driving of motor vehicles on that road at a speed exceeding that specified in the order' - it's not against the law to exceed the limit on a push bike.[/p][/quote]Not a specific offence, but it is VERY dangerous, and I would not like to be hit by a 13 stone man doing 30mph up St Giles. Cycles do not have brakes that can stop the rider doing that speed. But there are other laws that cover this kind of anti-social behaviour by cyclists on the road. It is a real crying shame that the police do not enforce it more The New Private Eye
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree