Wendy house can stay after council does U-turn

Angharad Hollowaywith Eleanor, seven, and Anwen, three, with the Wendy house

Angharad Hollowaywith Eleanor, seven, and Anwen, three, with the Wendy house

First published in News

PLANNERS who demanded that a Marston family take down their Wendy house have changed their mind, saying that it can stay in place.

Last month the Oxford Mail revealed that Oxford City Council threatened Angharad and Craig Holloway with an enforcement order after they put up the five-foot wooden house for their two daughters, Eleanor, seven, and Anwen, three, to play in.

Now, after an inspection, planning officers have decided not to make the family take down the structure.

Mrs Holloway added: “Eleanor burst into tears of happiness when I told her the good news.”

Mr Holloway admitted it was possible unhappy neighbours, who initially raised the problem with the council, could take private action, but said it was unlikely.

City council spokesman Christopher Lee said: “It is our view that the Wendy house will not have any significant harmful effect for those in the vicinity of the structure.”

 

  • Our top stories:

Family of missing woman Emily Stiff told of discovery of a body in Thames

Oxford Mail:

5:18pm Friday 27th March 2015

THE family of missing Oxford woman Emily Stiff have been told about the discovery of a woman's body in the Thames this afternoon.

Video: Ex-headteacher found dead in Thames days before court appearance for molesting boys

Oxford Mail:

2:44pm Friday 27th March 2015

A FORMER headteacher due to be sentenced for molesting young boys was the man found dead in the Thames on Tuesday, it has emerged today.

Slavery: Police fear more victims as 10 arrested remain in custody + video

Oxford Mail:

8:59am Friday 27th March 2015

POLICE feared there could be more victims after 10 people were last night in custody after a series of anti-slavery raids.

Andrew Main fit to enter pleas over South Oxfordshire District Council arson attack

Oxford Mail:

5:42pm Friday 27th March 2015

A man accused of burning down council offices in South Oxfordshire has been deemed fit enough to enter pleas.

Two lanes closed southbound on M40 between Thame and Watlington junctions after car hits central reservation

Oxford Mail: Lorry jackknifes on M40 causing traffic tailbacks

5:05pm Friday 27th March 2015

ONE person was taken to the John Radcliffe hospital this afternoon after a crash on the M40 closed two lanes of traffic.

Men accused of city centre jewellery theft appear in court

Oxford Mail: oxford magistrates court

4:00pm Friday 27th March 2015

TWO men accused of conspiracy to steal from a city centre jewellers have appeared in Oxford Magistrates' Court.

 

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree