MOTORISTS could soon be enjoying a widened and improved road between Carterton and Witney.
Oxfordshire County Council wants to upgrade the B4477 between Carterton and Minster Lovell to an A-road and add more slip roads at its junction with the A40. It is in response to an expected increase in traffic caused by new developments around the town.
And council cabinet member for environment David Nimmo-Smith revealed the authority was in talks with the Ministry of Defence (MoD) about a possible financial contribution to the project.
Mr Nimmo-Smith said: “A lot more housing is planned for the area now, so there is going to be a higher demand on that road and its junction with the A40.
“Because of that, it has moved up the council’s list of priorities and the MOD wants to see it upgraded as well, to make it easier for military vehicles to travel in the area.
“I am much more optimistic about it than I have previously been.”
In the last year, proposals have been announced for almost 2,000 homes to be built to the north, east and west of Carterton.
So far just 250 of those, to the north around Swinbrook Road, have gained approval.
The county council, which is responsible for highways, said in its latest Carterton area strategy it wanted to invest in the town’s infrastructure to support expected rises in population.
Town council mayor Lynn Little said the work was a priority for the town.
She said: “It is good to hear the county council has finally recognised that Carterton needs this upgrade.
“Anyone can see it has changed and yet at the moment we are stuck with B-roads.”
A spokeswoman for the Ministry of Defence was asked for comment but failed to respond in time.
- Our top stories:
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community