OXFAM has said it will try to get back the £29,000 “golden handshake” given to fraudster Edward McKenzie-Green when he left the charity.
McKenzie-Green, 34, from Chipping Norton, was jailed for two years and five months on Tuesday after admitting to stealing more than £64,000 while he worked as the charity’s head of counter-fraud between February and November 2011, when he resigned.
The Oxford Mail reported yesterday that the international aid charity was hoping to get back the £64,612.58 McKenzie-Green stole.
But yesterday charity spokeswoman Christina Corbett confirmed it would also try to get back the money given to the fraudster when he resigned.
She said: “We will consider civil action to claim back the £29k and the other money stolen.”
The father-of-one had been stealing from the charity at a time when he was investigating misconduct by aid workers following the 2010 Haiti earthquake.
He was arrested in April 2012 and had claimed he was the victim of a corrupt conspiracy among senior staff at Oxfam, before he admitted fraud by abuse of position in March this year.
• Our top stories:
12:00pm Thursday 11th February 2016
AN INSPIRATIONAL teenager who laughed his way through life has died after doctors met his wish by switching off the machine keeping him alive.
7:00am Thursday 11th February 2016
A NEW free school with a Christian ethos could open in Headington to help relieve pressure on existing schools.
7:30am Wednesday 10th February 2016
SUNKEN boat owner John Simmonds was stunned into silence yesterday when he was handed hundreds of pounds worth of donations from Oxford Mail readers.
6:30am Wednesday 10th February 2016
In a special report, the Oxford Mail exclusively reveals how the owners of Oxford Stadium were still making a profit before closure despite claims it wasn't "viable"
8:00am Wednesday 10th February 2016
FANS could soon be buying Oxford United toothpicks, pet clothing and even lingerie after the club registered its name as a trademark.
6:30am Tuesday 9th February 2016
THE mother and aunt of Prime Minister David Cameron have backed the campaign to save the county’s children’s centres.