Council to raid reserves to fund new homes

Oxford Mail: District councillor Debbie Pickford District councillor Debbie Pickford

COUNCILLORS are being asked to approve a further £9.5m to fund new homes across Cherwell.

The cash will be taken out of Cherwell District Council’s capital reserves to help fund its £16m self build programme Build! The council has already put £7m into the scheme which will see 250 homes built on 26 sites across the district.

Originally, the council was planning to go into partnership with registered providers, but a report said grants to those providers had been reduced in recent years.

A report for the full council, which meets tonight, said: “The primary benefits therefore, of the local authority acting in this direct developer role include more certainty around delivery, better control of construction and professional costs, the use of off-site construction methods (where these are deemed appropriate), and of course tight control of the overall investment process.”

Work on the homes must be completed by next March to ensure the council receives an undisclosed grant from the Government’s Homes and Communities Agency.

The report says the council should generate £19.1m through selling the properties and will get a New homes Bonus grant of £1.5m over a six year period.

District councillor Debbie Pickford, the lead member for housing said: “We have got a lot of derelict parcels of land that nobody wanted to do anything with and we identified them and are now building 250 houses, mostly affordable.”

Top News
• Our top stories:

Oxford vigil in support of Gaza scholar

Oxford Mail:

5:40pm Tuesday 22nd July 2014

A vigil has now started for an Oxford Brookes Gaza Scholar in intensive care after losing five members of his family in an Israeli bombardment.

50 glorious years of a fine village institution

Oxford Mail:

5:00pm Tuesday 22nd July 2014

IN 1965, when the Beatles released their album Help!, residents in Towersey realised their village hall was in desperate need of repair.

Listen: Fiaz Munshi guilty of manslaughter over Magdalen Road arson as police apologise for blunder + Audio

Oxford Mail:

2:52pm Tuesday 22nd July 2014

FIAZ MUNSHI has been found guilty of manslaughter and not guilty of murder over the deaths of two children in an arson attack in East Oxford in 1997.

She was loved by so many: huge turn-out for the funeral of Liberty Baker

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

MORE than 300 friends and relatives turned out yesterday to pay their final respects to Witney schoolgirl Liberty Baker.

Exhibition unravels the story of boy king’s tomb

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

HIDDEN under the sand for centuries, this little statue will come face-to-face with thousands of visitors in Oxford.

Community association given stay of execution

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

A COMMUNITY group was celebrating yesterday after being told it could stay at its base for the immediate future.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:30am Thu 29 May 14

to ny w says...

Well I never, more public monies being gambled by CDC on development. Add this to the £12m being punted on the Eco Con, that's some punt. Is this what L A's are for ?
One other question to D D , what sustainability code are these being built to ?
Surely if the Eco Con is such a great idea, at least Code 5?
Was that a flying pig I just saw ?
Well I never, more public monies being gambled by CDC on development. Add this to the £12m being punted on the Eco Con, that's some punt. Is this what L A's are for ? One other question to D D , what sustainability code are these being built to ? Surely if the Eco Con is such a great idea, at least Code 5? Was that a flying pig I just saw ? to ny w
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree