THE opening of Didcot’s new £22m leisure centre will be delayed by a year because negotiations to buy land have stalled, according to a leading councillor.
The new centre, which will include a 25m eight-lane pool, is due to open as part of a 2,000-home estate at North East Didcot, north of the Ladygrove estate.
But the original opening date of 2016 is now being put back to 2017 because South Oxfordshire District Council has so far been unable to buy the land, owned by Reading University.
Bill Service SODC’s cabinet member for leisure, said: “It’s very disappointing but so far South Oxfordshire District Council has not yet been able to buy the land it needs, about seven hectares, for the leisure centre.
“Negotiations started two years ago but unfortunately we have not been able to make much progress and so we have to be realistic and say 2017 is a likely opening date, not 2016 because we can’t get started on sorting out the sewerage and the roads until we own the land.
“It seems Reading University won’t sell the land until it is completely satisfied with certain aspects of the planning application.
“We have had several crunch meetings on this and we will continue to meet until we can move forward.”
Council leader Ann Ducker added: “The discussions regarding the council buying the land for the leisure centre are deadlocked at the moment but we are pushing as hard as we can and will continue to do so. We need to get the land ownership tied up before we can move forward, so it could be early in 2017 before we can open the new leisure centre.”
Earlier this year, SODC leaders agreed an additional £7.36m should be invested in the new centre. It was originally expected to cost £15m.
Daniel Hayman, of the North East Didcot Partnership, representing Reading University and developer Croudace Homes, said: “The provision of the leisure centre site is reliant on the delivery of the wider North East Didcot scheme. The leisure centre site is an important part of the wider development and there is commitment from all parties to see it delivered.”
Our top stories:
5:43pm Friday 4th September 2015
A SOLDIER has died at St David's Barracks in Bicester today.
5:33pm Friday 4th September 2015
LOCAL control of health service budgets in Oxfordshire has been included in a £4bn bid to secure major new powers from the Government.
3:46pm Friday 4th September 2015
A DESIGNER clothing firm has today been fined £1.2m for "systematic" health and safety failures that led to a four-year-old boy being crushed by a 7ft mirror.
11:48am Friday 4th September 2015
A woman and her daughter who were missing from Witney have been found safe and well.
11:06am Friday 4th September 2015
A SIGNALLING problem at London Paddington is expected to cause delays of up to half an hour to all trains travelling from Oxfordshire to the capital until midday.
8:30am Friday 4th September 2015
HUNDREDS are expected to attend a demonstration in Oxford this weekend against the UK Government’s stance on refugees.
8:00am Friday 4th September 2015
A MAN who killed his 26-year-old friend by speeding near North Leigh was jailed for a year yesterday.
8:00am Friday 4th September 2015
A “BOISTEROUS and bouncy” dog who “gets a bit psychotic” when he sees a vet has been stuck in an Oxfordshire rehoming centre for eight years.
7:00am Friday 4th September 2015
FRIENDS and the emergency services made “heroic” efforts to try to save an Oxford teenager on the night he drowned, a coroner said yesterday.
6:30am Friday 4th September 2015
EVERY school in the county should be part of an Oxford Mail-backed literacy campaign, organisers have said.
6:00am Friday 4th September 2015
A ‘CHILL-OUT’ space for teenagers, a coffee shop and a computer room should be provided as part of a new West Way community hub., residents say.
6:30pm Thursday 3rd September 2015
A 23-year-old man has been jailed for a year following the death of Long Hanborough man Richard Reed in a car crash last year.
8:30am Thursday 3rd September 2015
AN 880-PUPIL free school in Oxford has been hailed as the beginning of a new solution to the county’s shortage of places.
5:06pm Thursday 3rd September 2015
A JUDGE has postponed sentencing a designer clothing firm over health and safety failures that led to a four-year-old boy being crushed by a 7ft mirror.