Action on child abuse costs county £8m, conference told

Jim Leivers

Jim Leivers

First published in News
Last updated
Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Council Reporter, also covering Oxford city centre. Call me on 01865 425429

MORE than £8m from Oxfordshire County Council has been spent so far in tackling child sexual exploitation, it emerged yesterday.

Council leader Ian Hudspeth, said his authority had increased the amount of money it has been spending to tackle child sexual exploitation in the wake of Operation Bullfinch.

He said: “Primarily the money has come from children’s services – and we have not stopped doing something else to pay for this.

“But we have added in money from other pots.

“Part of the reason we have been able to do it is the increase in council tax.

“What we want to make sure is that we have the funding there to make sure it cannot happen again.”

In February the county council voted to increase council tax by 1.99 per cent despite a government incentive to freeze it.

A total of £3m was spent on Operation Bullfinch itself.

It went towards things like victim support and secondment of officers from the county council to the Bullfinch team, during the long investigation.

It also includes £1.4m on 21 new social workers and funding towards the £1m joint taskforce to tackle child sexual exploitation known as the Kingfisher team.

Despite the funding, Melinda Tilley, the cabinet member for children, education and families, said she could not guarantee the crimes wouldn’t be repeated.

She said: “I am not confident that the system will prevent this from happening again and we have heard that there are still issues but at least we know they are happening now.

“We know an awful lot more now than we did. The crux of it is the partnership with other agencies and the serious case review is an important part of understanding what happened.”

Children’s services director Jim Leivers revealed the £8m figure, which covers since 2010, as he addressed a conference in Oxford on the issue of child sexual exploitation yesterday.

He was one of the keynote speakers at the Kassam Stadium.

Speaking at the conference, Mr Leivers said: “In Oxfordshire we have put a lot of work into raising awareness and we have trained in the near end of 5,000 people.”

The conference was attended by 300 social workers from up and down the country who were hoping to learn from the county council’s work on the issue.

The sexual abuse of vulnerable young girls in council care was exposed under Thames Valley Police’s Operation Bullfinch, which was launched in May 2011.

An 18-week trial at the Old Bailey last year heard the victims – some of whom were under council care – were groomed, drugged, raped and prostituted by a gang of men.

The jury convicted seven men on May 14 last year of crimes including sex trafficking and conspiracy to rape, and the gang were jailed for a total of 95 years in June.

A serious case review is now under way to determine where the council and police went wrong.

The serious case review is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

  • Our top stories:

Jayden trial: Jake Blakeley tells jury his killer brother was evil

Oxford Mail: Jake Blakeley, 18, from Didcot

8:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

A TEENAGER accused of helping his brother bury the body of Jayden Parkinson wept in the dock as he was told to look at photos of the two graves.

'I'm glad my evil ex has been jailed for injuring me'

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

A WOMAN left with life-changing injuries after her violent boyfriend pulled her car’s handbrake on the A40 said she is glad the “evil” man has been jailed.

Johnny Mullins backing Oxford United's quality

Oxford Mail: Johnny Mullins

9:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

Johnny Mullins says Oxford United’s squad have the quality to get themselves out of trouble even without help from new signings.

Haggis and a wee dram on menu for Burns Night

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 24th January 2015

FAMILIES and friends across Oxford are coming together to celebrate Sunday’s Burns Night in style.

Delight at decision to replace whole water pipe in Normandy Crescent

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 24th January 2015

RESIDENTS have welcomed Thames Water’s decision to replace the water pipe running through a flood-blighted street as “a step in the right direction.”

A34 northbound re-opened after lorry crash

Oxford Mail:

8:28am Saturday 24th January 2015

THE A34 northbound between Marcham and Milton re-opened this evening after the road was closed when a lorry crashed into a ditch last night.

Plea for noisy salute today to Oxford United fan Keith Pasfield

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

THE KASSAM Stadium will echo to a minute’s applause this afternoon to mark the death of a lifelong U’s fan.

It was the sunniest December for 135 years

Oxford Mail:

7:20am Saturday 24th January 2015

DECEMBER is a month more known for ear muffs than sunglasses but last month was the sunniest in Oxford since records began in 1881.

Disabled swimmers are told Leys Pool now ready and waiting for them

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

DISABLED swimmers have been reassured by city council managers the right equipment is available at a new £9.2m swimming pool following criticism.

Hospital and health service staff planning 12-hour walk-out

Oxford Mail: John Radcliffe Hospital stock

6:40am Saturday 24th January 2015

MORE than 400 ambulance and 2,000 hospital staff in Oxfordshire could strike as part of a national day of action later this month.

Now students say: We don't want controversial Castle Mill buildings shortened

Oxford Mail: The Castle Mill flats

6:30am Saturday 24th January 2015

STUDENTS have called a bid to reduce the height of the controversial Castle Mill student flats a “scandalous waste” of money.

Two conmen sent to prison

Oxford Mail: Scales of Justice

6:10am Saturday 24th January 2015

TWO conmen who targeted elderly people in Oxford, taking up to £15,000, have been jailed.

Oxford City Council promises to keep its park and ride sites open

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

CITY leaders have said plans to scrap park-and-ride facilities in Oxford were put forward without consulting them first.

Entire pipe in Normandy Crescent to be replaced after devastating leak

Oxford Mail:

4:27pm Friday 23rd January 2015

AN entire stretch of water pipe running through Normandy Crescent is to be replaced by Thames Water.

 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree