OXFORD MAIL reporter Ben Wilkinson has won a national award for his work on Operation Bullfinch.
Ben was named Daily Reporter of the year at the 2014 Regional Press Awards yesterday.
Our crime reporter covered the whole of Operation Bullfinch, following which seven men from Oxford were found guilty of abusing six girls in the city between 2004 and 2012.
He spent four months following their trial at the Old Bailey, which concluded on May 14 last year with the gang jailed for a total of 95 years in June.
The judges described his reporting as “a journalistic tour-de-force with immense power and sensitivity.”
Deputy picture editor Richard Cave was commended at the Society of Editors awards ceremony held at London’s Lancaster Hotel.
The judges said: “Combining imagination with clever and funny photographs, Cave’s pictures gave a true sense of the story.”
The Oxford Mail’s special report covering the Bullfinch trial was highly commended in the supplement category.
Oxford Mail assistant editor Jason Collie said: “There is nothing I can add to the judges’ remarks that would better describe Ben’s reporting on Bullfinch.
“This award proves that his coverage of the trial was peerless.
“We’re also delighted for the richly-deserved commendation for our deputy picture editor Richard Cave because he is a talented photographer.”
Our top stories:
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- TV Wildlife presenter Chris Packham speaks about his Aspergers, teenage struggles and attempts to get into Oxford University
- GALLERY: Prince William proves a hit with young and old students on Oxford visit
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK
- Stunt actor from Oxford meets his match on Take Me Out
- 11 years on, pupils jump for joy over installation of crossing
- Barton gets £4m cash boost to transform estate’s homes and shops