Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us
Former Bicester store site plan is approved
5:00pm Tuesday 6th May 2014 in News
THE site of a former Bicester discount store will finally get developed after a third set of plans were approved by councillors.
Montpelier Estates has been given permission to build 40 assisted living homes at the former Winners site, in Victoria Road, which has been vacant for more than a year.
In 2012 the firm submitted proposals for a 60-bed care home, which were rejected by Cherwell District Council.
Last year, new plans to build a 36-home assisted living complex were refused over developer 106 contributions, which was later dismissed at appeal.
Cherwell and Oxfordshire councils had asked for almost £50,000 towards providing adult day care, £18,000 for public transport and £10,000 for footpath improvements.
In the latest set of plans, Oxfordshire County Council only asked for a total of £9,200 towards libraries, waste management, a museum resource centre and administration.
The county council said a technical change in the type of development meant it could not claim more 106 contributions.
But Cherwell spokesman Tony Ecclestone denied the class had been changed and said the planning inspector had warned the county council it should only claim cash if it could be justified.
Bicester Town Council had objected to the site on the grounds it should be retained for retail use.
Comments are closed on this article.