Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us
19-year-old is cleared of sex assault on girl
7:30am Tuesday 25th February 2014 in News
A TEENAGER accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl twice in Oxford has been found not guilty.
Ashley Clare, of Colemans Hill, Headington, denied two counts of sexual assault on Saturday, August 3, last year.
The 19-year-old was alleged to have carried the crimes out against a girl, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, near his home at around 3pm.
But yesterday a jury found him not guilty after two hours and 57 minutes of deliberation.
Graham Smith, prosecuting, told the jury in his opening speech that the assaults were claimed to have taken place in the communal area of a block of flats. But he added: “The defendant will say that none of this ever happened.
“The defendant says she is fabricating.”