Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us
FLOODING: ‘At risk’ housing block still waiting for a new walkway
6:30am Wednesday 8th January 2014 in News
A HOUSING provider has been criticised about the continuing absence of a walkway to homes in West Oxford.
Home Group has permission for the flood access to Osney Court off Botley Road but no work has been carried out.
This has left residents worried following the latest spate of floods in the area, which have yet to reach the housing block.
City councillor for Jericho and Osney, Susanna Pressel, said: “I have been trying for years to persuade the housing association to put in a dry walkway for emergency use. They got planning permission at last in August, but since then nothing has happened.”
Osney Court resident James Jefferson, 52, said: “We had a meeting last year and we were told it would be done as soon as possible but are still waiting. None of us would have any problem getting here from the road if we had the walkway.”
Wayne Davies, Home Group head of customer service, said flood sacks had been provided to residents.
He said £76,000 would be spent on the elevated walkway.
“This major work requires consultation with customers and planning permission which we have obtained,” he said.
“A contractor was appointed shortly before Christmas and we’ll further consult with customers this month before starting work in February.”
Comments are closed on this article.