DOZENS of people in Oxfordshire have been named in the New Year’s Honours list.
Across the county 29 people will receive MBEs, OBEs, BEMs, and Knighthoods from the Queen.
Those named today include Marios Papadopoulous, founder of Oxford Philomusica, who receives an MBE, swimming teacher Brian Wiggins, who has given 40 years’ service, will get a BEM, and Graham and Pauline Evans for their work for Save the Children in West Oxfordshire are both to also receive a BEM.
Martin Harris is also awarded the BEM for services to conservation and the community in Horspath, where he has lived for the past 40 years.
Simon Mort, 72, of Abingdon Road, Oxford, has been awarded an OBE for his voluntary work on the Conservative Party Disciplinary Committee.
And Dominic Mahoney also gets an MBE for voluntary services to the modern Pentathalon.
Others honoured are:
- Paul Collier, CBE, pictured. For services to promoting research and policy change in Africa.
- Dr Noel Robert Malcolm, FBA. Senior Research Fellow, All Souls College, University of Oxford. For services to scholarship, journalism and European history.
- Professor Peter J F Ratcliffe. Nuffield Deparrtment of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford. For services to clinical medicine.
- Professor Frances Clare Kirwan, FRS. Department of Mathematics, University of Oxford. For services to mathematics.
- Peter Bennett Jones. For services to the Entertainment Industry and to charity, particularly through Comic Relief.
- Professor Marian Ellina Dawkins. Professor of Animal Behaviour, University of Oxford. For services to animal welfare.
- Margaret Farrar. Former strategic director for leadership development, National College for Teaching and Leadership. For services to education.
- Anne Ursula Willcocks. Director, Insolvency Service. For services to the development of market frameworks and leadership of major parliamentary bills.
- Dr Jane Margaret Barrett. President of Royal College of Radiologists. For services to radiology.
- Julia Frances Wasteneys Carrick. Global ambassador of Walpole. For services to the British luxury goods industry.
- Martin Peter Knops. Formerly counsellor at Oxfam. For services to Oxfam.
- Ceridwen Mary Roberts. Senior research fellow of Department of Social Policy and Intervention, University of Oxford. For services to social science.
- Gregory John Bensberg. Former director of spectrum policy, Ofcom. For services to media and communications.
- Marion Helen Dowding. Formerly deputy chairman of West Oxfordshire Conservative Association. For voluntary political service.
- Karen Rutherford Hewitt. Tutor of Department for Continuing Education, University of Oxford. For services to building academic and cultural understanding between the UK and Russia.
- David Attlee Norman. Chair of governing executive, Ruskin College. For services to adult education
- Michele Clare Crawford. For services to young people and to charity in Oxford.
- Martin John Harris. For services to conservation and to the community in Horspath.
- Daphne Gertrude Plumridge. For services to the community in Tackley.
- Geoffrey Keith Whittaker. For services to the community in Watlington and Britwell Salome.
- Walter Desmond Williams. For voluntary service to community and youth sport in Oxfordshire.
- Christine Yarborough. Senior organiser, Banbury and Chipping Norton Home-Start. For services to children and families.