Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us
Mugging victim warns ‘Don’t walk alone or this might happen’
A MUGGING victim who suffered a broken jaw in an attack he cannot remember has warned people to stick with friends on nights out.
Electrician Rob Jennings has no memory of being beaten and robbed after a night out with friends in Oxford.
The 32-year-old last night said he believed he was targeted because he was walking home alone.
He left The Bullingdon, in Cowley Road, at about 2.30am on Saturday and was walking along Union Street when he was approached from behind by three men.
He said his attackers demanded money and when he turned round he was punched in the face.
The next thing he remembers is stumbling into Kebab Kid, in Cowley Road, with a bloody nose and face.
His wallet, about £60 in cash, bank cards, car keys, and his mobile phone had all been stolen.
He also suffered a fracture to his left eye socket and two fractures to his jaw. He has also suffered nerve damage to his face.
The former Cherwell School pupil said: “I blacked out. I can only remember the first hit.
“They must have beaten me. The next thing I remember is walking into Kebab Kid and asking for help.
“I would advise people to keep with a big group. If they (robbers) can single people out, they will go for them.”
Police statistics show 134 people were robbed in Oxford between April last year and March this year, 27 of whom were attacked within a mile of Cowley Road.
And 21 per cent of city robberies last year resulted in a caution, charge, or conviction.
From April 2011 to March last year, 159 people were robbed and 23 per cent of the crimes saw a caution, charge or conviction.
Mr Jennings was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital by ambulance and was kept in overnight.
Doctors have told him his recovery will take about six weeks.
He said: “I have kept a brave face. I have not let it affect me too much. I’ll wait for it to heal and hopefully go back to leading a normal life.”
He said the police had been asking businesses in the area for CCTV footage, adding: “I’m hoping they’re going to be found. Hopefully, people will speak out about if they saw anything there. If it wasn’t me, it would have been someone else that night.”
Police had not made any arrests, but they described one suspect as of Asian appearance, slim, about 5ft 8in, with short hair.
Det Sgt Rhian Evans appealed for anyone with information to call her on the 101 non-emergency number.
She said: “We’re doing everything we can to identify the offenders involved in this violent robbery.
“Incidents such as these are extremely rare, but when they do occur, police will work hard to bring the perpetrators to justice.”
Anyone with information can also call the Crimestoppers hotline anonymously on 0800 555111 or go online at crimestoppers-uk.org
Comments are closed on this article.