Didcot residents escape flats blaze

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Contact me on 01865 425422

A kitchen fire led to a block of flats in Didcot being evacuated during the early hours of this morning.

Two fire engines from Didcot fire station were called to the fire in Torridge Drive, on the Ladygrove estate at 12.33am.

Seven residents left the flats before fire crews arrived and no-one needed medical treatment.

One crew put out the fire in the first-floor flat while a second crew searched another flat and rescued a cat.

A spokesman for Oxfordshire Fire Service said the blaze started following a fault in a fridge.

Incident commander Andy Halstead said: “ It was extremely fortunate that the residents got out in good time as the smoke alarm battery had been disconnected.

“If the smoke alarm had been in working order the occupants would have been alerted much earlier and the damage would have been far less.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree