doc

AN application to build two homes in Grove Street has been turned down by councillors.

Oxford City Council’s West Area Planning Committee rejected the plan at a meeting on Wednesday night.

The council received a petition of 22 signatures against the scheme, voicing fears about the impact on traffic, loss of light and the homes overlooking neighbours’ properties.

The city council turned down a plan to build two homes on the site earlier this year and the new application was an alteration of these plans.

Councillor Anne-Marie Canning said: “This scheme is only marginally different from what we have seen before and I still think we have all the same grounds for refusal.”

But the empty site, formerly North Oxford Grove House Club, already has planning permission to build one four-bedroom house and three three-bedroom homes on it.

Councillor John Tanner said: “It seems to me that because a previous committee has granted permission for four houses we have not got a leg to stand on.”

The plan was rejected because it overlooked neighbouring homes and would be over-development of the site.