Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us
Oxford East (House of Commons)
Rt Hon. Andrew Smith MP (Labour)
Surgery: Unit A
Surgery Tel: 01865 595790
MP Since - 1987 Majority - 4,581 Born - 01/02/1951. Married, 1 son.
Education - Reading Grammar School, St John's College, Oxford (BA, BPhil).
Previous Occupation - Member Relations Officer, Oxford & Swindon Co-operative Society (1979-87), Chair of Oxford Brookes University (1987-93), Vice-President of Sir Michael Sobell House Hospice.
Personal Overview - Moved from Local Government representation in Oxford to becoming one of it's MPs in 1987. He quickly advanced to the post of an Opposition Spokesman, becoming Shadow Secretary of State for Transport before the General Election. He has since been given senior roles in the Department of Education and Employment, the Treasury, and most recently heading up the Work & Pensions Department. Resigned from the Government in September 2004 to devote more time to his constituency and family responsibilities. This came at a time when he had been tipped for replacement in an Autumn reshuffle.
Political History - Councillor, Oxford City Council (1976-87), Member for Oxford East (1987-), Opposition Spokesman for Education (1989-92), Treasury & Economic Affairs (1992-96), Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury (1994-96), Shadow Secretary of State for Transport (1996-97), Minister of State, Department for Education and Employment (1997-99). Chief Secretary to the Treasury (1999-2002). Secretary of State for Work & Pensions (2002-04). Member of the South East Committee (2009-10).
Characteristics - His career advanced after Tony Blair became Labour Leader, before fading in the latter stages of Labour's second term.
Business Tel: 020 7219 5102
Interests: General Trade & Industry,Transport,General Economy,Education & Training,Motor Industry,Retail Industry,Local Government
- Adventure and Recreation in Society Group (Member)
- Agriculture and Food for Development Group (Member)
- Agro-Ecology Group (Member)
- Animal Welfare (Associate Group) (Member)
- Replacement of Animals in Medical Experimentation Group (Member)
- Arch Cru Investment Scheme Group (Member)
- Arms Length Management Organisations (ALMOs) Group (Member)
- Beef and Lamb Group (Member)
- City Regions Transport Group (Member)
- Civic Societies Group (Member)
- Commercial Radio Group (Member)
- Connecting Communities Group (Member)
- Conservation and Wildlife Group (Chairman)
- Crowdfunding and Non-Banking Finance Group (Member)
- Drones Group (Member)
- East-West Rail Group (Member)
- Energy Intensive Industries Group (Secretary)
- Justice for Equitable Life Policy Holders Group (Member)
- Further Education, Skills and Lifelong Learning Group (Member)
- Hazara Group (Member)
- High Speed Rail Group (Member)
- Highway Maintenance Group (Member)
- Hill Farming Group (Member)
- Leisure Group (Member)
- Micro Businesses Group (Member)
- Motorcycle Speedway Group (Member)
- Mountain Rescue Group (Vice Chairman)
- Mountaineering Group (Vice Chairman)
- National Parks Group (Member)
- Respiratory Health Group (Member)
- Rowing Group (Member)
- Rural Services Group (Member)
- Steel and Metal Related Industry Group (Treasurer)
- Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety Group (Member)
- Unconventional Oil and Gas Group (Member)
- British-Finnish Group (Treasurer)
- Kosovo Group (Member)
Oxford West and Abingdon (House of Commons)
Ms Nicola Blackwood MP (Conservative)
Surgery Tel: 0207 219 7126
MP Since - 2010 Majority - 176 Born - 16/10/1979 (Johannesburg).
Education - Home schooled . Trinity College of Music (trained as a classical singer). St Annes College, Cambridge (First in Music). Emmanuel College, Cambridge (M.Phil. in Musicology).
Previous Occupation - Gap year volunteering with aid projects in the Middle East. Parliamentary Researcher to Andrew Mitchell MP as (Shadow Secretary of State for International Development). Aid project volunteer.
Personal Overview - Gained this seat from the Liberal Democrats on a swing of 6.9% in 2010. Born in Johannesburg, she moved to the UK at an early age, with both her parents working for the NHS in Oxford for many years. Prior to her election she worked in the UK and abroad (Mozambique, Rwanda, Bangladesh) as an aid project volunteer before training as a 'Domestic Violence Champion'. She is likely to be a moderate Conservative member and will need to remain aware of local issues in defending this marginal seat. She also has a libertarian viewpoint where she may find common ground with senior party members such as David Davis MP. Within the Conservative Party she has worked with its Human Rights Group and was involved in setting up the Conservative Party Social Action Project which aims to set up small scale, local projects designed to support and empower struggling communities. Externally has been a member of the Council of Advisors for ZANE, a charity which supports pensioners in Zimbabwe.
Political History - 2005 General Election national campaign volunteer with the Political Unit in the Conservative Research Department and the Conservative Central HQ Press Office. Oxford City Council candidate (2006). MP Oxford West and Abingdon (2010-). Member of the Home Affairs Select Committee (2010-). Conservative Party Vice Chairman (Social Action). PPS to Matthew Hancock, Minister of State for Skills and Enterprise (2013-14), as Minister of State for Business, Enterprise and Energy (2014-).
Characteristics - Has been a Governor at a local special school.
Business Tel: 0207 219 7126
Interests: Overseas Development,Social Issues,Education & Training,Health,Human Rights
- Home Affairs Committee (Member)
- Christians in Parliament Group (Member)
- Strengthening Couple Relationships Group (Member)
- Financial Education for Young People Group (Member)
- Mobile Homes Group (Member)
- Overseas Development Group (Secretary)
- Poverty Group (Member)
- Refugees Group (Member)
- Scout Group (Vice Chairman)
- Victims and Witnesses of Crime Group (Member)
- Water and Sanitation in the Third World Group (Member)
- Women, Peace and Security (Associate Group) (Chairman)
- African Great Lakes Region Group (Member)
- Kosovo Group (Member)
South East (European Parliament)
Mr Keith Taylor MEP (Green)
MEP Since - 2010 Born - 01/08/1953. Partner (Lizzie).
Education - N/a.
Previous Occupation - Worked in sales (1972-1980). Self-employed/Co-Director of a local business (1980-1999). Regional Liaison Officer for Caroline Lucas MEP (2002-2007).
Personal Overview - Replaced the outgoing Caroline Lucas here in June 2010 after she was successful in her bid to become the Green party's first MP at Westminster. He is an experienced Councillor, having led the Green Group in Brighton for a number of years. He has also shown an interest in foreign affairs issues, as a Councillor was active in campaigning to secure the release of Brighton resident Omar Degayes from the Guantanamo Bay detention facility. He has also been involved in High Court action supporting families with Autistic children. Within the party, he has been a spokesperson on planning and regeneration as well as a Principal Speaker at the time when the party had not adopted a single leader. He has also been involved in policy development with the party election manifesto. Locally, he he is likely to have gained a good knowledge of his electoral region through his work for his predecessor.
Political History - Councillor, Brighton and Hove City Council (1999-2010). Green Group Leader (2001-08). Chair, Association of Green Councillors (2001-2002). Principal Speaker for the Green Party of England & Wales (2004-2006). Regeneration Spokesperson (2008-10). MEP South East Region (2010-). Member of the Afghanistan Delegation (2010-14), Substitute member of the Delegation for relations with the Palestinian Legislative Council (2010-) and the Iran Delegation (2010-14). Member of the International Trade Committee (2010-14) and the Transport and Tourism Committee (2010-). Substitute member of the Petitions Committee (2010-14). Substitute member of the Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety (2014-).
Other Information - Has been a Vice President of the UKs Local Government Association Group in the European Parliament. Former representative for Brighton and Hove on the UN Peace Messenger City project and a City representative to the Local Government Association.
Intergroups - Member of the LGBT Rights Group.
Business Tel: +32 (0)2 28 45153
Interests: Environment,Economic Regeneration,Womans Issues,Regional Policy,Conservation
- Environment, Public Health & Food Safety (Substitute)
- Transport & Tourism (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org