MICHAEL Appleton says Oxford United are in advanced talks with their top target, but there are no guarantees a deal will be finalised before the deadline closes tonight.
The U's are attempting to bring in an experienced striker before the transfer window closes at 11pm.
Both Appleton and chief executive Mark Ashton are in for a busy few hours which could go right up to the final minutes in an effort to get the deal across the line.
The head coach this morning admitted there was no way of knowing whether it will all be concluded in time.
He said: "Not really no and that’s what probably makes me even more nervous.
"It’s very frustrating, but football’s a funny world at times and one minute you’re thinking are we going to get this done and then very quickly it changes."
Appleton believes if he was able to sit down face-to-face with the target it would make all the difference, but the pursuit is complicated by the likelihood other clubs are also in the running.
He said: "I’d be surprised if we weren’t.
"It’s one of those that it will come down to what the player wants and what he sees as a future for himself.
"Somewhere along the line I’d love the opportunity to speak to the player myself, but we’re not at that stage yet.
"That’s when I’d back myself to get the job done."
The U's boss did confirm there was no intention for any players to leave the club before the deadline.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest United news:
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: It’s our final game but we won’t be in cruise control
- Oxford United unveil new home kit
- Permutations: Nine teams in League One have all to play for in final game today
- Oxford United in talks to extend contract of skipper John Lundstram beyond next season
- Oxford United out to sign off on a high against Shrewsbury