FRANCOIS Vainker starred with a century as Oxford were saved again from another top-order collapse in the drawn Division 1 derby clash at home to Aston Rowant.
The previous week against Slough, it was skipper Ian Crosby, who came to the rescue after a flurry of early wickets.
This time it was Vainker, better known for his left-arm spin, who scored 100 as Oxford recovered from 70-6 to reach 256-9.
Rowant never looked like passing the total and the match petered out into a draw with them on 206-7 in reply.
The visitors would have been hopeful of a better result after a super opening spell from Leo Bethell, who took the first four wickets, two of them to lbw decisions, as Oxford slumped to 26-4.
Karl Penhale then chipped in with two wickets to leave Oxford in big trouble.
But Vainker found a reliable ally in John Barrett and the pair added 142 for the seventh wicket.
Vainker was out for 100 off 159 balls, having hit 11 fours, while Barrett was eventually run out for a classy 67.
Bethell finished with 4-46, while Wes Morrick, although wicketless, conceded only 42 runs in 22 overs.
Rowant’s reply lacked a major innings, as several batsmen got out when set.
Shami Mendis was the main beneficiary, taking 5-50 in 21 overs of off-spin.
Penhale produced a late flourish of 44 from 38 balls, but that succeeded only in taking Rowant over the 200-mark.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Darryl Eales: Takeover rumours 'unhelpful' to Oxford United's player recruitment
- DARTS: Democrats find it hard in ODDA top-flight opener
- RUGBY UNION: Twickenham news is thrill for Oxfordshire head coach Craig Burrows
- FOOTBALL: Oxford United Women looking towards brighter future after finishing bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Josh Atkinson at the double as Oxford beat South Wales Ironmen
- BOXING: Jordan Flynn ready for 'massive opportunity' in England v Scotland Dual
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith proud of KTM progress in MotoGP
- GOLF: Frilford Heath deal with downpour to deliver EuroPro Tour event
- Oxford United and Oxford City excited over new partnership at Court Place Farm
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith secures 12th place in France