Dan Rivers admitted he came in under the radar to secure a Commonwealth Games gold medal.
But the 23-year-old rifle shooter, from Didcot, had been quietly confident of his chances.
England’s Rivers had been 100-1 to win the 10m air rifle event at Glasgow 2014, where he took bronze.
And the Wantage Target Shooting Club member was still 66-1 for the 50m three positions contest where he struck gold.
“The odds were because the bookies had gone on world rankings,” said Rivers.
“This year I didn’t compete in the World Cups, so that I could focus my time on the Commonwealth Games.
“I came in as an outsider, but I knew my performances were coming up.”
Rivers grew in confidence after his bronze medal and then won gold five days later with a dominant display.
“I said before that the air rifle was my weakest event, so to get a medal in that was mental,” said Rivers.
“But it showed me that I was capable of doing it in the other disciplines.
“I think I was still feeling a bit high when it came to the prone competition and I didn’t do as well.
“But when it came to the three positions, I really felt comfortable.”
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: It’s a challenging schedule but we’re more than ready
- Rob Hall hoping to boost Oxford United during busy period after much-needed rest
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton left with selection headache for Chesterfield clash
- BOXING: Sammy Ait-Tales lands victory on professional debut
- TABLE TENNIS: Christine Scaysbrook's first maximum saves depleted Forum C
- SWIMMING: City of Oxford youngsters land two trophies in Cardiff
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars aim to bounce back against basement side
- SNOOKER & BILLIARDS: Q Zone A stretch lead in Oxford League to three points
- ANGLING: Martin Robinson lands Fair Rosamund Trophy
- SPEED-SKATING: Rising star Tash Nemeth-Knight is aiming high after GB call-up