Oxford City’s triple jumper Nathan Douglas expressed his relief after qualifying for tonight’s final in Glasgow, writes STUART WEIR.
Douglas jumped 15.88m and 16.05m, qualifying on his third jump to confirm his place among the top 12.
“I came into the competition a little bit nervous after Marrakech (International Mohammed VI d’Athlétisme) where I picked up a little strain,” said Douglas.
“I wasn’t sure how my leg would hold up, but it held up very well.
“Unfortunately, with my first jump, my back locked up so I was playing a little game, checking if I had qualified without trying to force it.
“Now I will have some treatment and hopefully be fine for the final”.
Former Oxford University student Luke Caldwell, running for Scotland, finished 14th in the 10,000m last night in a time of 28mins 47.39secs.
He said: “It was tough – the 10K is hard.
“I was hurting from 8-9K, but I ran a PB and I am pleased.
“Despite running the 5,000 earlier in the week I was able to finish strong and beat the people I was running with.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Roger James bags brace as North Leigh beat youthful Oxford United to lift Oxfordshire Senior Cup
- HORSE RACING: Mark Bradstock thrilled with Coneygree's return to action
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City’s adies ease to cup final win
- FOOTBALL: Arran Gray’s hat-trick clinches North Berks League Division 4 title for Blewbury
- FOOTBALL: Superlative Kidlington make it perfect season in Oxford Mail Under 12 Girls League
- FOOTBALL: Chequers win dramatic Oxford City FA Premier Cup final on penalties
- FOOTBALL: Dan Bott’s brace helps Chipping Norton to finish fourth in Witney & District FA Premier Division
- FOOTBALL: Wayne Blossom shines with double as KEA secure Oxfordshire Junior Shield
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: George Corti’s four-timer is in vain for Botley Boys
- Roger James double sees North Leigh beat Oxford United to lift Oxon Senior Cup