Oxford City’s triple jumper Nathan Douglas expressed his relief after qualifying for tonight’s final in Glasgow, writes STUART WEIR.
Douglas jumped 15.88m and 16.05m, qualifying on his third jump to confirm his place among the top 12.
“I came into the competition a little bit nervous after Marrakech (International Mohammed VI d’Athlétisme) where I picked up a little strain,” said Douglas.
“I wasn’t sure how my leg would hold up, but it held up very well.
“Unfortunately, with my first jump, my back locked up so I was playing a little game, checking if I had qualified without trying to force it.
“Now I will have some treatment and hopefully be fine for the final”.
Former Oxford University student Luke Caldwell, running for Scotland, finished 14th in the 10,000m last night in a time of 28mins 47.39secs.
He said: “It was tough – the 10K is hard.
“I was hurting from 8-9K, but I ran a PB and I am pleased.
“Despite running the 5,000 earlier in the week I was able to finish strong and beat the people I was running with.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's penalty shoot-out win at Southend United
- Tyler Roberts holds his nerve as Oxford United make it third time lucky with shoot-out win over Southend
- Southend United 1 (Wordsworth 86), Oxford United 1 (Maguire 81) (Oxford win 4-3 on pens)
- Oxford United's Emirates FA Cup replay not selected for live television coverage
- RUGBY UNION: Former Oxford-based club London Welsh go into liquidation
- FOOTBALL: Eynsham SSC end three-month wait for win in Witney & District FA Premier Division
- FOOTBALL: Double for Charlie Lee as unbeaten Berinsfield maintain North Berks League Division 1 title tilt
- FOOTBALL: North Leigh lose 3-0 lead as Hereford grab draw in eventful game for ex-Didcot Town men
- FOOTBALL: Ismael Liverpool shines as Cropredy go fourth
- FOOTBALL: Liam Jones grabs hat-trick as Bodicote Sports reach Under 12 KO Cup last four