FORMER Brighton and Swindon goalkeeper Peter Brezovan has joined up with Oxford United’s training camp at Bisham Abbey.
The 34-year-old from Slovakia is being considered for a short-term deal to act as back-up to Max Crocombe.
United are in need of cover while Ryan Clarke recovers from foot surgery.
It was initially hoped the No 1 would only miss the first month of the season, but head coach Michael Appleton believes the absence could be several weeks beyond that mark.
Brezovan, released this summer after five years at Brighton, could play tomorrow night against Abingdon Town.
Appleton said: said: “Peter’s out of contract and we’ll monitor him over the next couple of days.
“We’ve only got Max at the minute, so we certainly need one.
“We don’t need one beyond the new year because Clarkey will be back.
“It depends on how it heals, but from what I’m hearing it’s going to be the back end of November.
“If he comes back quicker, then great, but we wouldn’t be doing our jobs right if we just relied on having Max and no-one else.
“He’s one of three or four options.”
One player not at Bisham was Tyrone Marsh.
The striker, who started one game for the U’s last season has picked up a slight groin strain, but may be on the verge of leaving the club on a loan.
Appleton said: “If there’s an opportunity to get him some football, I think it’s going to be important.
“There may be an opportunity to get him out on loan.”
One who has left is Liam Roberts, who the U’s were looking at as a potential goalkeeper for their development squad.
The 19-year-old, who conceded a 60-yard effort from Lucas Enrique in United’s pre-season game at Farnborough earlier this month, has re-signed for Walsall.
Latest United news:
- Fixture changes for Oxford United include derby at Swindon Town
- WATCH: Oxford United players undergo gruelling tests on first day of pre-season
- Oxford United will start pre-season training at Bisham Abbey while work is done at Roman Way
- Liam Sercombe relishing seeing Oxford United teammates again – but not looking forward to pre-season tests
- Christian Ribeiro: Oxford United's displays against Exeter City convinced me to sign