FORMER Oxfordshire sportsman of the year John Paul is gearing up for his second Commonwealth Games as part of Scotland’s track cycling team.
The 21-year-old (pictured), whose parents still live in Wantage, races in the sprint competition at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, starting tomorrow.
Paul secured a fourth-placed finish at Delhi 2010, aged 17, but has experienced a lot of ups and downs since.
Last year, he was dropped from the British Cycling Academy Programme after failing to meet the target he was set for the flying 22 metres.
But Paul has bounced back in 2014 and won a bronze medal at January’s UCI Track World Cup round three meeting in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United to host drinks and barbecue before crunch Wycombe clash
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Chris Maguire hails 'remarkable' away support as Oxford United beat Carlisle
- Oxford United keeper Benji Buchel so thankful to Danny Hylton for goalline clearance
- Missed chances frustrate Oxford United head coach Michael Appleton in victory over Carlisle United
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United celebrate return to top flight after play-off victory
- WEEKEND RESULTS: April 30-May 1
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City sign off with home defeat
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire start Unicorns Counties Trophy bid with defeat to Devon
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's win at Carlisle United