FORMER Oxfordshire sportsman of the year John Paul is gearing up for his second Commonwealth Games as part of Scotland’s track cycling team.
The 21-year-old (pictured), whose parents still live in Wantage, races in the sprint competition at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, starting tomorrow.
Paul secured a fourth-placed finish at Delhi 2010, aged 17, but has experienced a lot of ups and downs since.
Last year, he was dropped from the British Cycling Academy Programme after failing to meet the target he was set for the flying 22 metres.
But Paul has bounced back in 2014 and won a bronze medal at January’s UCI Track World Cup round three meeting in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United beat transfer deadline to sign top target Marvin Johnson
- Transfer deadline day - rolling blog
- Oxford United sign defender Charlie Raglan on loan from Chesterfield
- Oxford United strongly linked with late deadline day move for Marvin Johnson
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's Checkatrade Trophy win against Exeter City
- Oxford United youngsters expected to make loan moves to non-league after deadline day
- Small Checkatrade Trophy gate at Oxford United cannot take gloss off Tyler Roberts's first professional goal
- AUNT SALLY: Jon Townsend clangs off 15 dolls as Swan stay top
- CRICKET: Minster Lovell seal Airey Cup glory and stay on track for treble
- CRICKET: Oxford Downs and Abingdon promoted from Cherwell League Division 2