FORMER Oxfordshire sportsman of the year John Paul is gearing up for his second Commonwealth Games as part of Scotland’s track cycling team.
The 21-year-old (pictured), whose parents still live in Wantage, races in the sprint competition at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, starting tomorrow.
Paul secured a fourth-placed finish at Delhi 2010, aged 17, but has experienced a lot of ups and downs since.
Last year, he was dropped from the British Cycling Academy Programme after failing to meet the target he was set for the flying 22 metres.
But Paul has bounced back in 2014 and won a bronze medal at January’s UCI Track World Cup round three meeting in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Watch goals from new Oxford United striker Wes Thomas
- Oxford United sign striker Wes Thomas and defender Aaron Martin
- Oxford United's new faces help take squad to higher level, says Michael Appleton
- ATHLETICS: Nathan Douglas upbeat heading into make-or-break Olympic trials
- ANGLING: Littlemore ease into Supercup semi-finals
- BOXING: Darius Skop dominates in win over rival Jody Meikle
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Over 60s in last-over victory
- CRICKET: Dylan Driscoll stars in Oxfordshire Under 10s victory
- MOTORSPORT: Nathan Harrison recovers from penalty to move top of the standings
- LACROSSE: Oxford City to hold taster session for all abilities