FORMER Oxfordshire sportsman of the year John Paul is gearing up for his second Commonwealth Games as part of Scotland’s track cycling team.
The 21-year-old (pictured), whose parents still live in Wantage, races in the sprint competition at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, starting tomorrow.
Paul secured a fourth-placed finish at Delhi 2010, aged 17, but has experienced a lot of ups and downs since.
Last year, he was dropped from the British Cycling Academy Programme after failing to meet the target he was set for the flying 22 metres.
But Paul has bounced back in 2014 and won a bronze medal at January’s UCI Track World Cup round three meeting in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's victory against Bury
- Hat-trick hero Conor McAleny delighted to send Oxford United to Wembley on a high
- Oxford United fans breathe sigh of relief as goalkeeper Simon Eastwood plays on
- FOOTBALL: David Murphy's double puts Berinsfield in North Berks League Cup final
- FOOTBALL: Liam Godin hits four-timer as KEA reach Junior Shield final
- FOOTBALL: Olly Bush strikes a brace to lead Carterton into the last four
- FOOTBALL: Spot-on Jamie Cook seals dramatic win for North Leigh
- GIRLS FOOTBALL: Oxford City Under 13s clinch league title
- FOOTBALL: Harry Benfield guides Abingdon Youth to Under 15 KO Trophy glory
- FOOTBALL: Kyle Chester in top form as Carterton beat Didcot Town Youth Red