FORMER Oxfordshire sportsman of the year John Paul is gearing up for his second Commonwealth Games as part of Scotland’s track cycling team.
The 21-year-old (pictured), whose parents still live in Wantage, races in the sprint competition at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, starting tomorrow.
Paul secured a fourth-placed finish at Delhi 2010, aged 17, but has experienced a lot of ups and downs since.
Last year, he was dropped from the British Cycling Academy Programme after failing to meet the target he was set for the flying 22 metres.
But Paul has bounced back in 2014 and won a bronze medal at January’s UCI Track World Cup round three meeting in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United to cover fewer miles in League One next season
- FOOTBALL: New manager John Brough had 'long admired' North Leigh
- FOOTBALL: Manager Enrique Guillen salutes Oxford City Lions after FA Futsal Cup triumph
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United captain Andy Gunn takes top honour at awards night
- FOOTBALL: April England fires Oxford City to Southern Region Women's League Cup title
- FOOTBALL: Clanfield 85 Youth crowned champions
- GOLF: Frilford go top despite falling to reigning champions Burford
- DARTS: Stephen Wilkes's classy finish spurs Peachcroft
- Oxford United's Kemar Roofe and Liam Sercombe named in League Two team of the year
- Oxford United await decisions from Hylton and Maguire