FORMER Oxfordshire sportsman of the year John Paul is gearing up for his second Commonwealth Games as part of Scotland’s track cycling team.
The 21-year-old (pictured), whose parents still live in Wantage, races in the sprint competition at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, starting tomorrow.
Paul secured a fourth-placed finish at Delhi 2010, aged 17, but has experienced a lot of ups and downs since.
Last year, he was dropped from the British Cycling Academy Programme after failing to meet the target he was set for the flying 22 metres.
But Paul has bounced back in 2014 and won a bronze medal at January’s UCI Track World Cup round three meeting in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Latest Sport news
- AUNT SALLY: Darren Cox's super 16 renews Florence Park's title bid
- CRICKET: Rob Owen's super century helps Faringdon bounce back with Charlbury victory
- Oxford United 0, Brighton & Hove Albion 4 (Knockaert 17, Cadman 67, Hemed 76 & 85)
- Updates - Oxford United v Brighton & HA
- Oxford United willing to pay fee to sign goalscorer - Michael Appleton
- Oxford United to discover EFL Trophy opponents in draw tomorrow
- Tough pre-season games are helping Oxford United get set for League One, says Chey Dunkley
- FOOTBALL: Oxford United women pay for individual errors as they lose late on to Everton
- MOTORSPORT: Sean Walkinshaw looking forward to competing at Spa
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL continue losing sequence away to Coventry Bears