Sir Roger Bannister will receive an honorary doctorate from Oxford Brookes University tomorrow.
He will join students from the Faculty of Health and Life Sciences in a ceremony on the Gipsy Lane campus.
Oxford Brookes vice-chancellor Janet Beer said: “I’m sure our graduates this week will look to his many great achievements as inspiration for their own futures.”
Sir Roger is renowned as the first person to run a mile in under four minutes – achieved at the Iffley Road running track in 1954 – and for his work in the field of neurology.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community