Campaigner delighted at £160m boost to cancer drug fund

Clive Stone with David Cameron in 2010

Clive Stone with David Cameron in 2010

First published in News

Cancer campaigner Clive Stone has welcomed news of a £160m boost to a drug fund set up following his fight for drug treatment.

The Government announced last week that £80m would be added to the annual £200m Cancer Drugs Fund for each of the next two years.

The fund was set up in 2011 to give patients access to cancer drugs not routinely available on the NHS.

It was announced by Prime Minister and Witney MP David Cameron in 2010 after Mr Stone, 66, lobbied him following his successful fight to be treated with kidney cancer drug Sunitinib in 2007.

Mr Stone, from Eynsham, who has had 34 brain tumours removed, has written to Mr Cameron to praise the move.

He said: “I’m over the moon. It’s incredible.

“We know that at least for the next two years we will get cancer drugs — especially for people with rarer cancers.

“It won’t necessarily save lives but it will extend lives. Some people may be saved, because, if they get the drug at the right time, they could be cured.”

He said: “This is very good for the drug side of things but I hope we can complete it and I will keep pushing to make sure we get all the radiotherapy we need.”

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said: “It’s vitally important that as many people as possible have access to these pioneering, life-enhancing drugs.”

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.


Our top stories

Mum says Oxford Health let down son who escaped mental hospital

Oxford Mail: Ian McLean

9:00am Friday 30th January 2015

THE family of man who escaped a mental hospital, fled abroad then hanged himself in a prison cell have said he was let down by Oxford Health.

UPDATE: Snow and sleet forecast for Saturday in Oxfordshire

Oxford Mail: Ice warning for Sussex after more snow falls

12:06pm Thursday 29th January 2015

SNOW has been forecast for Oxfordshire over the weekend and a yellow weather warning is still in place for today.

Head ‘fobbed off’ over delayed Windmill Primary School extension

Oxford Mail: Windmill head teacher, Lynn Knapp

7:33pm Friday 30th January 2015

A HEADTEACHER at an Oxford primary school has claimed she is getting “fobbed off” by Oxfordshire County Council over questions about delayed construction work at the school.

Julia Knight appears in court charged with attempted murder of patient in Horton General Hospital

Oxford Mail:

4:14pm Friday 30th January 2015

A WOMAN charged with the attempted murder of a hospital patient today appeared in Oxford Crown Court.

Update: Man in court accused of £4.8m fraud at Mini plant

Oxford Mail: The production line for the mini at the BMW plant in Cowley as it looks now

3:50pm Friday 30th January 2015

A MAN has been accused of fraudulently pocketing £4.8m from the assembly and services division at the Mini plant in Cowley.

Oxfordshire County Council chief executive Joanna Simons to stand down in June - and will not be replaced

Oxford Mail: Joanna Simons

1:10pm Friday 30th January 2015

OXFORDSHIRE'S biggest local authority will scrap its top unelected position as part of a radical shake-up to save costs, it was revealed today.

 

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree