A MAN who sublet a property he was renting from a relative to seven people has been fined nearly £3,500.
Mohammed Usman, 61, was prosecuted after Oxford City Council found that he had sublet the house he rented from his nephew in St Martin’s Road to seven other people.
By so doing, he had turned the property into an house in multiple occupation (HMO) without having applied for an HMO licence. The house was also in a poor state of disrepair.
The council’s HMO enforcement team visited the property in October 2013, following information that the house was overcrowded. The team also found that eight people lived there and Mr Usman had been collecting rent for his own benefit without the owner’s knowledge.
He was convicted of failing to licence an HMO and failing to comply with the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006.
Five breaches of those regulations were found, including a missing front panel on the bath and the underside of the stairs not providing adequate fire separation.
Oxford City Council said Usman pleaded guilty to the charges when he appeared at Oxford Magistrates’ Court on August 18.
The court imposed a fine of £2,000 and ordered him to pay £1,478 costs.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street