RAF reservists’ Freedom march will be a ‘first’

Jeanette Baker

Jeanette Baker

First published in News
Last updated

RAF reservists based at Brize Norton will march through Witney next month for the first time since they were awarded the Freedom of the County.

Oxfordshire County Council gave 4624 Squadron, the RAF’s largest reserve squadron with 250 personnel, the unique honour in May last year.

The squadron will now exercise its right to march through the town centre on Sunday, September 14.

The 2120 Witney Squadron Air Training Corps will join them for the parade.

They will form up in Woodford Way at 10.20am and then pass along Welch Way and High Street, stopping at the war memorial in Church Green for a salute before continuing to St Mary’s Church for a service.

The parade will mark Battle of Britain Week, which runs from Monday, September 15, to Sunday, September 21, marking the RAF’s defence of the country from German attacks in 1940.

Witney’s mayor Jeanette Baker, who will take the salute, said: “I’m delighted that the squadron has chosen Witney for their first-ever march.

“This colourful event is a suitably impressive way of commemorating Battle of Britain Week and a great way to celebrate our strong relationship with our neighbours at RAF Brize Norton.”


Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.


Our top stories

Randolph Hotel: Damage runs to millions but we may re-open on Saturday

Oxford Mail:

8:08am Monday 20th April 2015

THE manager of Oxford’s Randolph Hotel has said the fire caused millions of pounds of damage.

Randolph Hotel: Flambe cooking thought to be cause of fire

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Monday 20th April 2015

FIRE crews were expected to return the flame-stricken Randolph Hotel to management today after spending the weekend making the building safe.

UPDATE: Randolph Hotel: Beaumont Street reopens westbound

Oxford Mail:

3:05pm Monday 20th April 2015

BEAUMONT Street is set to partly reopen later today after engineers assessed damage to the Randolph Hotel following Friday’s fire.

Jury retires to consider verdict in Robert Dobinson murder trial

Oxford Mail:

3:21pm Monday 20th April 2015

THE jury has retired to consider its verdict in the trial of a woman who denies fatally stabbing her boyfriend in a drunken rage.

Update: Delays expected until midnight after signalling problems between Oxford and Charlbury

Oxford Mail: A First Great Western High Speed Train

11:03am Monday 20th April 2015

There are delays and cancellations on train services between Oxford and Charlbury due to signalling problems.

Oxford United striker Kemar Roofe celebrates double delight

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Monday 20th April 2015

Kemar Roofe insists he does not know where his future lies after netting his second double in a fortnight to help Oxford United to a 3-0 win at Tranmere Rovers on Saturday.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree