RAF reservists based at Brize Norton will march through Witney next month for the first time since they were awarded the Freedom of the County.
Oxfordshire County Council gave 4624 Squadron, the RAF’s largest reserve squadron with 250 personnel, the unique honour in May last year.
The squadron will now exercise its right to march through the town centre on Sunday, September 14.
The 2120 Witney Squadron Air Training Corps will join them for the parade.
They will form up in Woodford Way at 10.20am and then pass along Welch Way and High Street, stopping at the war memorial in Church Green for a salute before continuing to St Mary’s Church for a service.
The parade will mark Battle of Britain Week, which runs from Monday, September 15, to Sunday, September 21, marking the RAF’s defence of the country from German attacks in 1940.
Witney’s mayor Jeanette Baker, who will take the salute, said: “I’m delighted that the squadron has chosen Witney for their first-ever march.
“This colourful event is a suitably impressive way of commemorating Battle of Britain Week and a great way to celebrate our strong relationship with our neighbours at RAF Brize Norton.”
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street