A NEW distribution centre working for national supermarket chains including Tesco and Sainsbury’s could bring 75 jobs to Wallingford.
Agent Carroll and Partners has submitted a planning application to South Oxfordshire District Council for a new 11,100 sq m warehouse on the Hithercroft industrial estate.
The warehouse would be built by Rubies Masquerade (UK) Ltd on land at the junction of Hithercroft Road and Bosley Way.
The application to the council says: “Rubies Masquerade require a new distribution/warehouse facility plus headquarters office accommodation to satisfy their needs in meeting ongoing business growth in the UK, Europe and Middle East.
“The company supplies approximately 2,500 retailers throughout the UK, including Tesco, Sainsbury’s, George (Asda), John Lewis, Mothercare, Argos, Hamleys, and Toys R Us.
“The company is seeking to centralise all its UK operations in this proposed development.”
According to the planning application, the warehouse, including a second-floor office, trade showroom and two-storey headquarters, would have a new entrance off Hithercroft Road.
Wallingford town and Oxfordshire county councillor Lynda Atkins said the land was designated for employment use.
She added: “I think new jobs for the town is good news.
“The site which has been allocated for the new Morrisons supermarket is about a quarter of a mile away and the new access off Hithercroft Road should avoid any potential conflict for traffic.”
The council is due to consider the application by November.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes