TWO men who sparked a chemical scare with a white powder ended up in hospital and under arrest by the police.
Emergency services were called to a caravan in Goosey near Faringdon just after 5pm on Sunday and found the pair unwell, South Central Ambulance Service spokeswoman Michelle Archer said.
The incident was reported as a “chemical incident” to the ambulance service, and it sent an ambulance and rapid response crew, said Ms Archer.
She said men were taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford after being affected by the chemical, but were not in life-threatening conditions.
Thames Valley Police Inspector Paul Beaney described the substance as a “white powder”, but said further tests would be carried out.
Last night, he said: “They both took it and suffered the consequences.”
He said the police received a report from the ambulance service of a “chemical incident” but on arrival discovered the pair had taken the unknown substance.
Fire crews had also been rushed to the scene with equipment capable of detecting hazardous materials.Vehicles from Oxford and Faringdon attended, along with a special unit from Bicester.
The two young men were arrested on suspicion of possession of a controlled drug, said Insp Beaney.
However they had been released by police although last night Insp Beaney did not know if they had been released without charge or on police bail while further enquiries were carried out.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon