£20,000 watch robbers jailed

£20,000 watch robbers jailed

£20,000 watch robbers jailed

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Health reporter, also covering Kidlington. Call me on 01865 425271

TWO teenagers who robbed a Venezuelan lawyer on holiday in Oxford of a £20,000 watch have been jailed.

Kelvin Ferreira, right, and Mustafa Mohammed, below, both 18, attacked Juan Domingo Cordero Osorio after following him from Thirst nightclub, Park End Street, in the early hours of September 6 last year.

Oxford Mail:

They were sentenced to 40 and 45 months in prison respectively for the attack on the Venezuelan lawyer, in which he was pinned by the arms while his watch was taken.

Judge Peter Ross, at Oxford Crown Court on Thursday, told them: “You were waiting, you were waiting in the shadows of the doorway. I have absolutely no doubt that by that stage, no doubt at some time in the club, you had spotted that he was wearing an unusual and potentially valuable watch.

“I suspect that you had not appreciated that it would be worth quite as much as it was and I doubt when you sold it you got anywhere near the real value.”

He said CCTV appeared to show Mohammed, of East Oxford’s Cricket Road, striking his victim, who then had his arms grabbed from behind after he fell over. Ferreira, of Droop Street, West London, stood over the lawyer and took his watch.

Photographs of the red-strapped watch and online searches for its value were found on Ferreira’s phone after he was arrested when he returned to the club the next day, the court heard.

Judge Ross said minor injuries to the victim’s face, neck, hand and elbow were “not the most serious injuries” from such attacks and said the pair faced a reduced sentence if they revealed what happened to the watch.

He acknowledged Mohammed had found a job in car valeting and wanted to gain qualifications, while Ferreira had volunteered at a youth club and planned to attend an engineering course.

Judge Ross said Ferreira’s early guilty plea to robbery had cut his sentence, but Mohammed only pleaded guilty at a later hearing.

However, he said the planned nature of the attack, a joint effort against one “vulnerable” victim to take a valuable item, counted against them.

Giles Bedloe, for Ferreira, said his client was “surprised” by the watch’s value and added: “He does live in a part of London where gangs operate and there are bad influences for young men in similar circumstances to him.”


 

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
     

Our top stories

Two road closures next week on A34 and in Oxford

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

10:52am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PARTS of the A34 and Walton Street will be closed next week as roadworks are carried out.

Thames Water under fire from residents who say they’ve been left in the dark

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

ANGRY residents flooded out of their homes say they are being left in the dark by Thames Water a week after disaster struck.

One lane of Botley Road shut for emergency work

Oxford Mail: Burst water main closes Lower Hall Lane in Chingford

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THAMES Water started emergency roadworks in Botley Road last night.

WATCH: Right royal occasion as RAF hands on helicopters + video

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PRINCE Andrew joined RAF personnel and Royal Navy staff as they paraded at RAF Benson yesterday to mark one of the base’s helicopter squadrons being officially disbanded.

Bridge fall man is still critically ill in hospital

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man was last night still fighting for his life in hospital after falling from a bridge and colliding with a vehicle.

Sex with teen denied

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man has gone on trial accused of having sex with a 14-year-old girl.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree