Oxford University’s Master’s degree in software and systems security has been accredited by GCHQ.
It is one of only six universities to have had their cyber security courses approved by the intelligence agency.
The accreditation is part of the UK’s National Cyber Security Programme.
Earlier in the year, UK universities were invited to submit their Cyber Security Master’s degrees for certification.
The development of GCHQ-certified Master’s degrees will assist employers to differentiate between candidates when employing Cyber Security staff.
A further call for Master’s certification will take place in late 2014 and will be extended to degrees which are focused on critical areas of Cyber Security such as digital forensics.
Francis Maude, Minister for the Cabinet Office said:
"Every time I visit GCHQ I see first-hand their tremendous work on Cyber Security. Cyber Security is a crucial part of this government's long term plan for the British economy.
"We want to make the UK one of the safest places in the world to do business online. Through the excellent work of GCHQ, in partnership with other government departments, the private sector and academia, we are able to counter threats and ensure together we are stronger and more aware."
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community