PRO-PALESTINE campaigners marched through Oxford this evening calling for an end to violence in the Gaza Strip.
About 150 people marched from Manzil Way Gardens to Cornmarket Street, where they held a vigil.
Marchers carried placards reading "Freedom for Palestine", Palestinian flags, and beat drums as they made their way into the city centre.
Organiser Dr Hojjat Ramzy said: "We are asking people to lobby the Government and ask them to work towards a ceasefire in Gaza.
"The UK government has influence but it is doing nothing. We want Israel to stop the attacks and to pay for the damage they have done to Gaza's infrastructure.
"We hope that by holding such a visual protest we can draw people's attention to the terrible things happening in Gaza."
Xhetan Bushi, 30, from Cowley, said he had joined the protest despite never having been involved with Palestinian issues before.
He said: "I have been watching the news and I just felt really sad when I saw what was happening and I wanted to do something so I joined the march.
"I want people to realise what is going on because I don't think people really understand and I don't think we know the worst of what is really happening."
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
- Our top stories:
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street