New parking zone is finally ready to start in Cutteslowe

Cllr Jean Fooks

Cllr Jean Fooks

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Council Reporter, also covering Oxford city centre. Call me on 01865 425429

COUNCIL officers have confirmed that a residents-only parking zone in Oxford will finally be introduced next month.

Plans for a controlled parking zone (CPZ) in Cutteslowe were approved in February but since then Oxfordshire County Council has failed to bring the scheme into force.

In May the county council said that the necessary signs and markings would be put in place by the end of that month but two months later residents are still having to put up with problems caused by commuters parking in their streets.

County councillor for Summertown and Wolvercote Jean Fooks said: “I have been chasing them about this since February and I have been promised dates that haven’t happened.

“I gather that the team has been cut and the workload has increased but that’s for the county council to sort out.

“It is not very satisfactory and very frustrating. It cannot be a good use of time and they have to decide exactly where they stand.”

Parking problems in the area have been caused by commuters not wanting to pay for the Water Eaton park and ride, as well as Oxford City Council’s policy of charging people to use car parks such as Cutteslowe Park.

Harefields resident Allie Noel said: “Every group of residents has got a different perspective because the conditions vary depending on whether you are near the park or not.

“In Harefields we are quite pleased with the arrangements because there will be only two permits per house and there are a lot of houses which have many cars because of renters.

“It has taken quite a long time to be introduced but it is a complicated matter and the county council has worked hard to get it right.”

The CPZ has been in the pipeline for 18 months but because the original scheme relied on “non-standard” signs, it was not approved by the Department for Transport.

At the time the first decision on the CPZ was made, the Government was approving non-standard signs.

But councils must now use signs chosen from a list provided by the Department for Transport and the Cutteslowe scheme was given approval again in February after being redrawn.

County council spokesman Martin Crabtree said: “Letters with information on the approved scheme and how to apply for permits, along with permit application forms, will be sent out by post to all the residents next week.

“It is our intention to issue permits in August with the zone coming into operation at the end of the month.”

Mr Crabtree said the markings are now in place, but are not being enforced, as the signs have not been installed yet.

 

Our top stories:

Update: Fire at Didcot Power Station under control and 'no risk to the public' + Video of blaze

Oxford Mail:

9:08pm Sunday 19th October 2014

THE fire at Didcot Power Station is under control and the smoke is not hazardous to the public, a fire chief has said tonight.

Free: Get Oxford Mail news alerts sent direct to your phone via Whatsapp

Oxford Mail: Whats App logo

2:00pm Sunday 19th October 2014

OXFORD Mail readers can now sign up to get major breaking news alerts sent direct to their mobile phones with a new service using Whatsapp.

UPDATE: Traffic lights back on at Frideswide Square after earlier fault

Oxford Mail: Frideswide Square

10:18am Sunday 19th October 2014

THE traffic lights in Frideswide Square and its approaches are out this morning.

Three men to appear in court charged with thefts of mobile phones from Oxford nightclubs

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

10:29am Sunday 19th October 2014

THREE men have been charged with six counts of theft after mobile phones were allegedly stolen at two city nightclubs.

Council and NHS leaders defend use of office space by county unions

Oxford Mail: WAR ON WASTE: Jonathan Isaby

7:29pm Sunday 19th October 2014

COUNCIL and NHS leaders have defended allowing their buildings to be used by unions after concerns that this goes against official guidance.

Remains of Hurricane Gonzalo to cause strong winds across Oxfordshire this week

Oxford Mail: Wild winds headed towards Cornwall

12:09pm Saturday 18th October 2014

Strong winds will hit Oxfordshire on Tuesday as the remains of Hurricane Gonzalo hits the UK.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree