Two puppies, one of which was dead, were found abandoned in a cardboard box in Wallingford yesterday.
A landscape gardener working by the Thames found the Staffordshire bull terriers, about eight weeks old, and took them to Oxfordshire Animal Sanctuary at Stadhampton.
The living puppy, pictured, was taken to a vet in Oxford. It is thought the other died of heatstroke and dehydration.
Assistant warden Aaron Denton said: “It is disgusting.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Our top stories
- Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- TV Wildlife presenter Chris Packham speaks about his Aspergers, teenage struggles and attempts to get into Oxford University
- GALLERY: Prince William proves a hit with young and old students on Oxford visit
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5