Two puppies, one of which was dead, were found abandoned in a cardboard box in Wallingford yesterday.
A landscape gardener working by the Thames found the Staffordshire bull terriers, about eight weeks old, and took them to Oxfordshire Animal Sanctuary at Stadhampton.
The living puppy, pictured, was taken to a vet in Oxford. It is thought the other died of heatstroke and dehydration.
Assistant warden Aaron Denton said: “It is disgusting.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Our top stories
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK