Two puppies, one of which was dead, were found abandoned in a cardboard box in Wallingford yesterday.
A landscape gardener working by the Thames found the Staffordshire bull terriers, about eight weeks old, and took them to Oxfordshire Animal Sanctuary at Stadhampton.
The living puppy, pictured, was taken to a vet in Oxford. It is thought the other died of heatstroke and dehydration.
Assistant warden Aaron Denton said: “It is disgusting.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Our top stories
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit