WEDNESDAY UPDATE - Man charged as police name suspect 

AN armed stand-off in the centre of Oxford has ended following overnight negotiations.

A 24-year-old man from Oxford was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in connection with the incident. He is currently in police custody.

WATCH: The moment gunshots were fired 

Several streets were closed but have now been re-opened and a small police presence remains in place. Officers remain at the property involved.

It follows an incident yesterday, when shots were fired from inside the property and police officers returned fire.

UPDATE: Neighbours react after returning to their homes for the first time since shoot-out

No-one sustained any serious injuries.

Armed police had been in position for more than 12 hours before the situation wa resolved shortly before 3am.

Several people were not allowed to go back into their home and the city council helped them find overnight accommodation.

Armed officers were initially called at 1.15pm on Bank Holiday Monday following reports that a man had access to a firearm.

Superintendent Joe Kidman, Oxford's Local Policing Area Commander, said: "I would like to thank the community for their understanding and patience while we worked to resolve the incident safely.

"Officers are particularly grateful for the support of members of the public and local businesses. While the investigation is ongoing people travelling in to Oxford should not experience any further disruption."

Oxford Mail:

An armoured van from Hampshire was called to the scene

Cordons were rolled out to block off entrances to Paradise Square, and a sniffer dog was also brought in. 

Oxford Mail:

Oxford Mail:

Oxford Mail:

Police were still arriving on the scene at 8.30pm last night

Police first tweeted about the road closures at about 3pm on Monday, as residents told Oxford Mail they had heard a series of loud bangs that sounded like 'gunshots'. 

Oxford Mail:

Guarded police cordon in Paradise Street

Yesterday, David Gallagher, a spokesman for South Central Ambulance Service, confirmed crews were attending a police incident'in Paradise Square.

He said one patient was treated in an ambulance near the scene for injuries that were not life-threatening.

He added: "We have another ambulance and a rapid response vehicle at the scene and further resources en route to support those already at the scene, but there are currently no further patients."

However as the evening as rolled on, more medical personel were seen in the area.

He was not able to give details about the injuries or information about the patient. 

One resident in Paradise Square, who asked not to be named, said: "I was coming home with my kids and police wouldn't let us into the street.

"I heard about five gunshots and there was an armed response.

"Flats have been evacuated and police were trying to talk someone down from their balcony."

He was eventually allowed back to his house but police asked him to stay inside.

The resident believed the incident had happened at a block of flats in Paradise Square, though police have not confirmed this.

One eyewitness spoke about what he saw with our reporter on the scene, Andy Ffrench:

Another person Tweeted to say she had heard gunshots and had been advised to stay in her hotel room. 

Oxford Mail:

Police tape in Paradise Street

Castle Street was also closed but this was re-opened this morning.

Oxford Mail:

A policewoman was standing watch over the cordon in Paradise Street, and officers appeared to be using the Jolly Farmers pub as their base.

Entrances to Paradise Square have been sealed off, including the path from Norfolk Street.

Oxford Mail:

A 21-year-old woman from Risinghurst said she was worried she would not be able to get a bus home following the incident, as some routes have been affected.

She said: "It's worrying to see so many police around - you should feel safe when you go shopping."

Oxford Mail:

A line of ambulances were parked in Castle Street yesterday, seemingly as a precaution.

Oxford Mail:

At about 5pm ambulance staff were seen carrying a stretcher of medical equipment towards Paradise Square.

A 27-year-old Oxford University student, who lives in Paradise Square, said: ''I saw officers with shields and quite big guns.

''I heard some shots - about five- then a period of silence and more shots. There were definitely more than five.''

The Master's student added that officers advised her to keep away from the windows at the back of her house.