POLICE were forced to shoot a man in the leg after he threatened to ‘blow their heads off’ and threw knives at them to avoid arrest.

Przemyslaw Ziema says he has no memory of chasing ambulance workers with knives before threatening to harm officers on March 27 this year outside his home address in Red Poll Close, Banbury.

Armed officers were called to the address after ambulance staff and firefighters were chased from the property after attempting a welfare check on the 33-year-old.

READ MORE: Scales of Justice: The latest cases from Oxford Magistrates' Court

They were forced to shoot Ziema in the leg in order to detain him.

He was sentenced at Oxford Crown Court on Thursday (May 9) to five counts of assaulting an emergency worker, two counts of possessing a bladed article and one count of criminal damage.

Sentencing him to eight months imprisonment, suspended for 12 months, Recorder James Hay said: “What happened on March 27 was absolutely appalling.

“The ambulance crew were there to help you, the fire crew were there to help you. And your behaviour towards them meant armed officers were called to protect them.

“You’ve apologised to the officers and recognise they came to assist you and you described your actions as awful - I can see that you really are remorseful.”

During sentencing, it was heard that Ziema’s partner had called the emergency services over concerns that Ziema was expressing suicidal thoughts.

READ MORE: Church leader who died after drug relapse was a 'highly-regarded' man

However, when the ambulance and fire crews arrived, they found Ziema with two knives in his hand. They left the home but the defendant began chasing them.

The crews locked themselves in their vehicles and called police who in turn tried to negotiate with Ziema.

However, he could be heard shouting: “Get the f*** back or you’re f****** dead” and “I have a sawed-off shotgun in here and if you don’t leave I will blow your f****** heads off.”

He threw a knife towards the officers, which landed in a neighbour's garden, and did a countdown before throwing a second.

Police were forced to take cover behind a shield due to the 'velocity' he threw the knives.

Officers eventually shot a baton round to detain Ziema and took him to Horton General Hospital where he broke a towel dispenser when trying to stand up.

READ MORE: Young father denies inappropriately touching woman multiple times

Defending Ziema, his barrister said that the father-of-two is struggling with his mental health and did not remember the event.

It was described as ‘out of character’ for the man who has no previous convictions.

Ziema was also ordered to complete 120 days of alcohol abstinence and six months of mental health treatment.