A CHINESE takeaway’s only escape from a fire was through a commercial kitchen after firefighters found no smoke detector.

Oxfordshire’s Fire and Rescue Team was carrying out fire safety audits last week by visiting businesses post fire incidents.

Several businesses across Oxfordshire were served prohibition notices including a takeaway in Henley which had no smoke detector.

READ MORE: Takeaway is appealing £120k fire safety fine today

The fire protection team said: “It was discovered that the upstairs accommodation had no smoke detection and their only escape was through the commercial kitchen.

“The team worked closely with the owner to get the issue solved as this could had to led to a serious incident had there have been a fire.

“The crew from Henley Fire Station fitted several smoke detectors which will remain in place until a more suitable alarm system has been fitted by the landlord.”


Read more from this author

This story was written by Gee Harland, she joined the team in 2022 as a senior multimedia reporter.

Gee covers Wallingford and Didcot.

Get in touch with her by emailing: Gee.harland@newsquest.co.uk

Follow her on Twitter @Geeharland

A message from our Editor

Thank you for reading this story and supporting the Oxford Mail.

If you like what we do please consider getting a subscription for the Oxford Mail and in return we’ll give you unrestricted access with less adverts across our website from the latest news, investigations, features, and sport.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tik Tok for more. 

You can also join the conversation in our Facebook groups: stay ahead of traffic alerts here, keep up to date with the latest from court here, share your favourite memories of Oxford here, get your daily dose of celebrity news here and take some time out with news that will make you smile. 

If you’ve got a story for our reporters, send us your news here. You can also list an event for free here.