FAULTY e-scooter batteries were waiting to be picked up by specialists when they burst into flames in a shipping container. 

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue said the fire at Horspath Industrial Estate in Oxford was started due to a "phenomenon" known as 'thermal runaway'. 

ALSO READ: 100 spoken to by police in Oxford e-scooter operation

Oxford Mail:

To make the matters worse, firefighters had to work out how to protect the environment from the hazardous chemicals inside the batteries. 

The team did this by putting the batteries into a dam and containing the water afterwards. 

ALSO READ:Voi partners with Apple Pay and Google Pay in Oxford

Oxford Mail:

Writing on Facebook, Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue said that fire engines raced to the scene from Oxford's Slade Park, Wheatley, Bicester, Abingdon, Eynsham, Witney and Didcot fire stations on Thursday.

They explained:" It's important if you have faulty batteries to store them outside as they did in this instance." 


Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For news updates straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on news@nqo.com or 01865 425 445.