A MAN jailed last year for a savage and frenzied attack on his wife will appeal his conviction and life sentence next month. 

Mark Lally, 51, was sentenced to life imprisonment last August after an Oxford jury convicted him of the attempted murder of his wife, who he repeatedly stabbed with a carving knife. 

Judge Peter Ross ordered that he serve at least 11 years and three months in prison. Sentencing the Abingdon man at Oxford Crown Court, the judge said Lally had selected the sharpest of knives and began his ‘frenzied’ attack.

“It’s a minor miracle that she was not left paralysed,” he said.

“You rained down the most savage of blows.”

READ MORE: Victim's bravery praised after 'savage' knife attack

Lally has now lodged an appeal against both his conviction and sentence, with the case expected to be heard at the Court of Appeal on July 7.

During the trial, jurors heard how Lally returned to his Abingdon home from the pub ‘in a mood’ in November 2019. 

An argument began with his wife, with whom he was going through a divorce. At about 9pm Lally launched into what was described as ‘extreme violence’ towards his wife while she was in a bathroom.

She said her husband pushed her into a corner then stabbed her around eight times. As well as her stab wounds, she suffered punctured lungs and fractures.

“I realised that it was a knife punching me because the blood started pouring out. I started screaming to ‘please call the police,’” she said. 

“I started screaming ‘he’s killed me, I can’t breathe.’”

READ MORE: Man who tried to kill his wife in 'savage' stabbing attack is jailed for life

She said in a statement read to the court she had PTSD as well as fear and paranoia that he would come back and ‘complete the job he started last year’.

Lally, of Wootton Road, Abingdon, admitted the stabbing but denied trying to kill his victim – claiming he had ‘flipped’. He was described as remorseful. 

Following the trial, Det Sgt Neil Anns of Thames Valley Police praised the victim for her bravery in ‘standing up against her attacker’. 

“This was a horrific case in which the victim has not yet recovered from her injuries,” he said. 

“Lally admitted to stabbing the victim but denied attempting to murder her, but having heard the facts of the case the jury came to the unanimous conclusion he had intended to murder the victim.”

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For news updates straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on news@nqo.com or 01865 425 445.