A MAN hurled a cannister of petrol at a packed nightclub before flicking a lighter and screaming 'I'm going to burn every last one of you.'

Michael Day's explosive rage was sparked, a court heard yesterday, because he wanted a Red Bull when the club didn't sell them.

The 38-year-old of Mill Street, Wantage, was set to stand trial for the incident but later admitted attempted arson and two counts of making threats to kill.

READ ALSO: Child rapist jailed for 'grotesque' campaign of sexual abuse.

Oxford Crown Court heard at his sentencing hearing yesterday how Day had been at the Shush nightclub in Wantage on April 28, despite being banned from the premises.

Inside, a row ensued when Day ordered a Red Bull but was given an alternative drink.

After it was explained that the club didn't sell the brand Day became aggressive and was kicked out of the club.

In a rage he then marched back to his home, some five minutes away, in order to exact his revenge.

CCTV footage of what happened next was played to the court and showed Day carrying a large 20-litre white plastic container.

READ ALSO: SCALES OF JUSTICE: Latest results from the Oxford courts.

That was partly filled with petrol and as he got near to the club entrance he was seen to throw it towards the door.

Day then launched himself towards the entrance of the club and in the path of door staff.

The ensuing melee saw petrol spill on to the ground and also over the clothing of some of the staff.

While this was going on, the court heard, Day was seen to flick a lighter and heard to scream death threats.

Among these he shouted racist abuse towards one member of staff and threatened he would burn the club down with everyone inside.

Day, who also had a cigarette in his mouth, shouted 'I am going to burn every last one of you' and he said he would 'burn them all.'

READ ALSO: Robber who preyed on post office jailed.

There were 177 revellers inside the club that night, and as the smell of fumes wafted inside they had to be evacuated.

Day was arrested and he told officers he had drank up to seven Corona bottles and had never intended to start a fire but wanted to 'scare people.'

In mitigation yesterday his defence barrister said Day, a father-of-seven, couldn't remember the incident.

Judge Maria Lamb called the episode 'terrifying' and jailed him for five years and two months.