AN INDIAN restaurant in Abingdon has been forced to close one of its food storerooms by health inspectors due to an 'unmanaged rat infestation'.

A notice in the window of Tiffins Tandoori dated October 4 from Vale of White Horse District Council stated there was a health risk to customers.

It added: "There is a current unmanaged rat infestation in the upstairs food and equipment store serious enough to result in the actual contamination of both food and equipment presenting actual risk of harm."

ALSO READ: Rat droppings found in food stores at restaurant

A picture of the Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notice was posted on the Abingdon Facebook group earlier today.

Staff member Abdur Rahman Hasan confirmed the infestation but said the restaurant was still open for business and that the problem had been confined to the upper level of the Bath Street building.

He added: "It's caused by a hole in the wall of the upstairs as the building next door is empty.

"We've had pest control in today and they said they can't find any evidence of rats anymore, if that is the same on the next check the notice will be lifted."

ALSO READ: 'Most luxurious' curry house slammed over problems with prawns, flies and cat food

He continued: "The council are happy for us to be open and we have completely closed the upstairs storeroom, everything stored there was in sealed containers."

The business currently holds a four-star rating following an inspection on January 19. 

At its previous two inspections it was scored two stars.

The restuarant's website describes itself as: "The place to be if you are looking to experience the very best Bangladeshi & Indian cuisine.

"Tiffins has established itself as a bustling and vibrant place."