HERO paramedics risked their own safety to save a woman after her son tried to kill her, a court heard.

Medics stormed into a flat in Cowley while Shahidul Jabbar, who had just attempted to murder his mother Rukia Begum, was still inside.

Yesterday jurors concluded the 41-year-old schizophrenic had committed attempted murder, for hitting her over the head with a hammer as she prayed in his home.

Jabbar called 999 himself to report the attack, expressing various delusions including that he was a CIA agent and James Bond, and had completed a ‘mission.’

An ambulance crew was dispatched but was instructed to wait for police before entering the property in Upper Barr.

Summarising evidence at Oxford Crown Court yesterday, Judge Ian Pringle said they waited for five minutes before deciding to enter without back-up, prioritising her urgent need for medical help.

Read more about the trial here

Within two minutes they had walked past the attacker inside, found his bleeding mother on the floor with a hole in her temple, bandaged her and carried her outside.

Judge Pringle commended their ‘brave’ actions, following the attack at about 8.30pm on July 19 last year.

Ross Cornett, acting head of operations for Oxfordshire at South Central Ambulance Service, said their staff can face 'potentially dangerous situations'.

He said: "The judge has quite rightly highlighted the bravery of Ashley, Nicholas and Hanna [who attended] in following their training, by carrying out a dynamic risk assessment as they entered the property to ensure they could treat Ms Begum safely and begin the urgent emergency care she needed.

"All our frontline staff are trained in this assessment technique as well as encouraged to wait for police support if they feel in any way under threat or unsafe."

Jabbar was deemed unfit to stand trial due to his mental state and in his absence, the jury had to consider if he had committed the alleged attack.

They unanimously agreed that he had, and following advice from medical experts, Judge Pringle sentenced him to detention under section 37 of the Mental Health Act.

He also made a restriction order, which means Jabbar will be carefully supervised if he is allowed back into the community, and can only be discharged on the authority of a mental health tribunal or the Ministry of Justice.

Jabbar had lived in the property for about three years, the court heard, and his mother would regularly come to stay overnight to help him clean and cook.

CCTV had captured her putting out his rubbish and hanging up his washing out shortly before the attack.

Although she did not remember the attack or see Jabbar with a hammer, she told police that she had seen a 'small hammer' in the kitchen on previous occasions.

Her son had told the 999 call handler that he had ‘did his first murder’ and also shouted at paramedics as they carried her away, ‘bring her back, I will complete my mission - I will kill her.’

ALSO READ: The full transcript from the 999 call

The court heard a taxi driver, who knew the pair, was waiting at temporary traffic lights on Cowley Road when Jabbar appeared at his window.

He told police: “He stopped and shouted ‘I just hit mum with a hammer, she’s bleeding in hospital, you’d better go and see her’ and walked off.”

Police arrested Jabbar that evening on Cowley Road.

The court heard he started presenting with symptoms of his schizoaffective disorder in 2003, and could become ‘chaotic and aggressive’ if he stopped taking his medication.

There had been two incidents of assaults in those 16 years, both of which led him to be detained in a secure mental health facility.

One was in 2009, when he shook his mother by the head but caused no injuries, and another in 2012, when he pushed a stranger to the floor and caused minor injuries.